dtlove129

Hey what is this (pic)?

I started this from seed last year, and this is the only one that survived but I don't remember what I attempted to grow last year. I think it gets bigger and you'll see that bloom that is coming on is purple.

[img]https://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u456/dtlove129/2012-05-03192330.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

It's lupin. :wink:

dtlove129

Yep that would be it because I remember growing some of them. Thanks!

WildcatNurseryman

My favorite perennial if only it lived longer.

dtlove129

Wildcat after googling them last night I think they are pretty cool too. I even put a reminder in my phone to pick up another pack of seeds this weekend after I read you can direct sow them. Last year I hadn't studied this stuff and I think if I remember I damped most of them off and that is why I only have the 1 this year.

WildcatNurseryman

I have grown a lot of different colors in the past and love the dark pink, almost red color next to a chartreuse plant like Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' or Liriope 'Pee Dee Gold Ingot'. The combo is really striking. The one I had was next to a big gold Hosta in part shade.
Don't be too disappointed if they don't bloom this year. I have had better luck with the bloom on the second year, and they seem to weaken or die out after blooming. They do produce a great seed source for future plants though. I am not sure that they are considered biennial, but they sure do act that way for me.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Love lupines, from years ago when a friends dad grew them all along his patio. They would have a strong blooming at the start of the season, then take a rest and bloom again in late summer, just not as spectacular but still lovely.
I've had success growing them from seed. An unusual occurance wiped them
And two euonomous out last summer...lightening grazed a tree, went to the ground, found the telephone line, followed it to the phone box On house, and zapped any flower or shrub along the way. And the phone.

WildcatNurseryman

That is an unusual occurence. I might try that with some of the Japanese Honeysuckle and Privet around Lexington. "The Electrocuter" Weed-killer has a catchy ring to it.

applestar
Mod

Here are my babies:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/adb551e0.jpg[/img]

WildcatNurseryman

They are even cool when they are that size. I especially like how they capture water in the junction of their leaves.

Return to “Perennials”