Jess
Greener Thumb

Crambe cordifolia

Does anyone know what eats out the base of this plant and what to do to get rid of it? I try not to use chemicals etc. so would prefer organic methods if at all possible.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Every search I find says that caterpillars can be a problem. You could dust with diatomaceous earth. Use the food grade and wear a mask so you don't breathe the dust.

Newt

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Newt. Nice to see you back! :D

I always have a problem with caterpillars on it as being in the brassica family cabbage whites love it. They weren't the problem though, snails were. They had laid eggs at the base and tiny little snails were merrily munching their way through the stems. Surprising really as they are very thick and fibrous. Wouldn't have thought they were particularly tasty.
I treated with organic slug pellets and then earthed the base up a bit. Seems to have done the trick. Thanks for investigating anyway.

Btw that was the first thing I ever posted on this forum. :lol:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Jess,

Thank you for the warm welcome back! I'm doing much better now but it sometimes takes me a while to answer the questions as I keep making typos and have to correct them and reread them again and again. Sometimes I just take a break and return in a bit after doing some chore. Then I don't get so confused.

Gosh, I hadn't even thought of slugs. I had a terrible problem with them when I first moved here and I think we talked about that a very long time ago. At least the toads are munching away at my slug problem.

Hope all is well across the pond!
Newt

Return to “Perennials”