blaugranamd
Newly Registered

Begonias not sprouting...

So it's almost May and my begonias haven't shown any signs of life. I dug a few of them up today and they look just like they did when I planted them nearly 6 weeks ago. They're really the only flowering plants I have in my small backyard and I really wanted some color this year. I have 3 pots of pendula begonia bulbs and about 12 more double begonias in the ground below. I have kept them well watered and they only get about 2 hours of mid-day sun. Any help?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you know your begonias are cold hardy for where you are? Some begonias are quite cold hardy and some are only hardy to zone 7 and have to be dug and stored for colder climates.

blaugranamd
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Do you know your begonias are cold hardy for where you are? Some begonias are quite cold hardy and some are only hardy to zone 7 and have to be dug and stored for colder climates.
Not sure, but I just got them this year and since they've been planted temps haven't gotten below 32 but 2 or 3 days total separated by a week or so each.

blaugranamd
Newly Registered

I've gotten mixed advice based on a few articles I've read. Should begonias be constantly watered before sprouting or should they be allowed to dry? I can move the baskets to under the porch to keep them dry if necessary.

Should I pull the bulbs and put them in something else until they start to sprout?

blaugranamd
Newly Registered

blaugranamd wrote:I've gotten mixed advice based on a few articles I've read. Should begonias be constantly watered before sprouting or should they be allowed to dry? I can move the baskets to under the porch to keep them dry if necessary.

Should I pull the bulbs and put them in something else until they start to sprout?
As for the tubers, they're Van Zyverden double begonias and pendula begonias. Other than that, I don't know type. The hanging baskets are plastic with a sort of drainage basin in miracle-gro potting soil and the ones in the ground are in generic bagged topsoil. All are planted about 4" deep. Should I water them less, plant them more shallowly, or add some peat moss to the soil mix? I really want these to flower this year :-(

blaugranamd
Newly Registered

Well it would seem most of the tubers in the ground have at least sprouted about 2" and it seems like I probably planted them too deeply, like 5-6". So I got a bag of peat and mixed that in with the top soil so they're now in about 50/50 mix of peat and generic topsoil planted about 1.5" down so hopefully they'll still put up some color this year.

Return to “Perennials”