TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I don't know about the word "bad". Look to our own bull frog and what it's done over seas and out west of the Rockies while it's perfectly "good" east of the Rockies. And then there's the Cane Toad. It's existence isn't an issue in its native range where it is "good" but here on the continent of North America its highly invasive. Plants are about the same deal; think Kudzu, Salt Cedar, Cheat Grass, Water Hyacinth, barberries, etc. Any species out of place has the potential to be "bad" but only a small percentage are actually invasive. Maybe just Invasives which could cover the issues associated with control, management, and eradication of those species that pose the actual documented threats to public health. I truly don't think any one much cares how many non-native hostas a person plants in their yard although they certainly wouldn't be appropriate in a natural area on our continent.

NEWisc

I also agree that an "Invasive Species" forum would be very helpful. This website has a consistent philosophy of encouraging ecologically friendly activities and practices. Organic gardening, using native plants, being friendly to wildlife, minimizing pesticide use, etc., are all components of this theme. It's this philosophy that sets this gardening forum above all the other gardening forums that I have visited.

An Invasive species forum would be another component that would contribute to being a responsible gardener. Invasive species have, and will continue to, cause a lot of damage to our ecosystems. Many of the invasive plants start out in the gardens of people that are unaware of the consequences of growing these plants.

Invasive species are a universal problem; I believe it would be useful to all of the international membership that use this website.

ahughes798
Cool Member

I agree, for instance, switch grass is becoming a problem in Europe.

Some things just don't belong where we put them, no matter how much we want them. Ya can't and shouldn't, always get what you want.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Backing up a little bit to these comments, "I 48, and have been a gardener since I was 8. My dad used all manner of chemicals on his garden, inorganic ones, I mean.

I have been working as a restoration volunteer for the biggest part of 30 years.

I decided last year to finally go to school and get a degree in hort/natural areas management so I'd be taken seriously by prospective employers."

For what it's worth, I've got some sheepskins- big deal. I'm sure there are others here who do too. In my humble opinion there is no substitution for getting out there and doing. It's the hands on opportunities you've been actively taking advantage of that speak volume to me. The 30 years of experience you've got working in natural areas will take you far. A sheepskin can be limiting if one doesn't continue to grow after acquiring same. Closes some eyes to the workings of the natural world and produces some very narrow minded people based on my personal experiences.

imagardener2

TheLorax wrote:In my humble opinion there is no substitution for getting out there and doing. It's the hands on opportunities you've been actively taking advantage of that speak volume to me. The 30 years of experience you've got working in natural areas will take you far.
When I finally started college I had been farming & ranching with my husband for quite a few years already. My sole purpose in going to college was to hone the skills I already had, thus my majors were Plant & Soil Science and Animal Science.

I was shocked that so many of my profs let me into their Jr & Sr level classes w/o any of the pre-reqs all the other students had to abide by. I was even more shocked when my Sheep Mngt prof called after finals and said I made an 88.5 in her class, but she was giving me an 'A'. When I told her she didn't have to do that she explained that I could have easily taught the class save for the more technical aspects of it. And if I went to school and did nothing else as a large part of the others did (my DH & I farmed 1300 acres together + had sheep & cattle +3 small children) I would have aced the class.

They all saw the value of practical experience. As I look back on it now almost 30 years later I see they were right. And what I would add to that - I know the stuff I was taught in those classes. I would venture to say the others had to re-learn it if they ever needed it for a job.

Reading your post I see you are obviously quite knowledgeable, "which exposed the weed seed lingering in the soil to light, so I had even more weeds", "deplete the weed seed bank a little". Sounds like you might be bored in more than a few classes...

Jess
Greener Thumb

:D So do you think the person who originally posed the question on ditch lillies is still reading?
I am. I do not think I have learned so much in any one thread on this site.

Invasive species....If ever I suggest a plant to someone in the US could you please feel free to mention it is a bad choice if you know something I do not. I know what is invasive here but I cannot speak for over there.

Now to organic gardening practices...I have never used Neem oil, nor have I used Roundup or any glyphosate based herbicide. My idea of 'organic' gardening is minimal interference with nature. I try to learn about every plant I grow before it goes in the ground. What soil it needs, what light requirements, what nutrients. Whether there is a good companion plant. What predators look like so that I can set them onto the pests. A healthy plant will need no treatments.
I also graft. I will spend as much time as it takes to remove an invasive, unwanted plant from my garden rather than throw chemicals at it. I am at an advantage I know. I only have a small plot, not acres and acres so I can understand that some will use more aggressive methods but I do feel that I am doing my bit just like Grey. I cannot justify the use of cides so I don't use them simple as that. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Invasive species....If ever I suggest a plant to someone in the US could you please feel free to mention it is a bad choice if you know something I do not. I know what is invasive here but I cannot speak for over there.
Well, since you insist... just kidding because I try my best to comment but sometimes I just can't no matter how hard I want to so I rap my own knuckles with a ruler and if the urge to comment persists I duct tape my fingers together then move onto the next thread.

I think the big difference is that smaller properties are considerably more manageable relying upon mechanical and "non-cide" practices. My property is slightly over 2 hectares. I can generally handle the vast majority of invasives and noxious weeds by myself without having to resort to using those "cides" that concern all of us. Sadly, the wilds are taking the biggest hits as more and more exotic plants escape cultivation and that is why some really tough decisions are being made in the best interests of public health. Again, "Sometimes, the best that can be hoped for is that we come out ahead when the score is tallied." The example of 40,000 acres of Knapweed was not an exaggeration. That knapweed is out there and it's reproducing at an unprecedented rate while everyone screws around trying to figure out what the heck to do about it based on best science while factoring in limited resources. That's 40,000 acres of infested land which to you would be around 16,200 hectares. Does that help put it in perspective? Scary, very scary. It's the little people like you and me who are going to make a difference providing we think globally while acting locally.

ahughes798
Cool Member

Experience is great. I am quite giggly about the fact that I, the high school drop out, knows more about propagating and managing native plant communities than the PhD. who heads my department. My watercolour teacher knows more about native plants than PhD guy does. But PhD guys PhD. is in woody plants, wherein he absolutely and totally blows me out the door vis a vis their identification, care, and management. That's my shrub ID class.

In my Horticulture 101 class, I'm just now studying stuff like cells, parts of plants and their sub parts and how they work. It was an area very lacking in my knowledge of plants, though I always had a vague idea from high school biology classes.

Fun fact: Potatoes are not tubers. They are underground stems. The eyes are the nodes. The other stuff is the inter-nodes, LOL!

However, <b>there's a whole lot to be said for book learnin',</b> LOL!

I only use 1 "cide" and that is Round-UP, because I'm trying to do a wet mesic prairie restoration in my back yard. I use it minimally, and very specifically targeted to very specific individual plants...Canada Goldenrod. Even with our late spring...they are already starting to sprout.

Even though Canada Goldenrod is native...it is a very aggressive native plant, and since I have such a small space(500 sf), I cannot afford to let it run amok.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I have goldenrod and to keep it at bay each fall when I prune it to the ground, I dig out some of the spreaded wood and the associated roots. It's a beautiful plant that attracts all sorts of beneficial insects but, you have to watch it as you need to watch mint or it will take over.

ahughes798
Cool Member

The trouble I have found with cutting and re-cutting aggressive goldenrods is that it causes the root stock to send up even more suckers, thereby doubling or quintupling the work to keep it under control. It is really hard to prune your way out of trouble...I've seen 2" high Queen Anne's Lace blossom, after it had been cut and re-cut, LOL!.

Ohio goldenrod is a nice alternative...non-suckering. A valuable wildlife food. And very showy. I planted a bunch that I grew from seed last year. Hopefully, the will be able to push out the weedy stuff.

kaetra
Newly Registered

Does anyone have a picture of an early growth/sprout of a daylily? I want to dig the little suckers out before they start to get big.

I dug a bunch of something up and the rootballs were huge, like 1 square foot of intertwined solid bricks of root. Pretty sure they were the ditch lilies, but now I have similar sprouts coming up in an area that they weren't in last year so they must have spread.[/img]

ahughes798
Cool Member

Kaetra,

Daylily sprouts are bright yellow/green, and in kind of a tubular arrangement. Iris sprouts have flat leaves, like a fan. I'll see if I can send a picture...send me a private e-mail. April

Madge45
Newly Registered

1. All chemicals should be used exactly as directed on the label. adding more chemical to a mix will not help the problem, but can cause lots more issues.

2. RoundUp is a great product for converting scrub or grassland for gardens.

3. Roundup is NOT safe after 24 hours, I spent a whole day trying to save my dog who walked into an area I sprayed at least 24 hours before, the vet said I was lucky I noticed the symptoms in time. (he survived)

4. I have 2 commercial spray licenses, so I know of what I speak.

The last time I fought the dreaded orange lily, I had a backhoe come and dig 2 feet down and 3 feet outside the area and haul them far away, I had a huge mass covering half of my front lawn. Now I fight the battle again as my new house has a yard full, ugh.

Midwestguy

Okay, this may sound crazy and may be more trouble than it's worth. But you could take your "lemons" and make "lemonaide". What I mean by that is that a lot of county fairs will be starting up soon. You could dig these plants up, put them into cheap plastic pots and sell them for $1.00 each at local your county fair. Of course you will want to advertise them as Day Lilly (Hemerocallis fulva). But you never know. Maybe you'll make enough money to reseed that part of your lawn. :D

Madge45
Newly Registered

I have hated these awful plants since I was a kid, my mom used to make us pick them for my Irish Grandfather, he was not amsued.
To me they are a weed, and I believe they are on the list of noxious weeds in my province, to be irradicated on sight.

LA47
Green Thumb

I had a hard time finding a place to buy ditch lily's (I happen to love them) and finally found some on E-bay. I paid $28 for 20 VERY small roots, most a quarter of the size of my little finger. For those trying to get rid of them - do think about selling them. I've grown them for years and with a good barrier they haven't spread out of their space. They are not terrible plants, just take care where you plant them. They are perfect for difficult areas that are hard to water ar care for and once they fill in they are practially weed free. Just be sure you get a barrier in that is at least 8 inches deep. That has kept mine corraled for 13 years.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I also like the orange daylilies. I have them in two flower beds. I have to thin them out every year to keep them from completely filling the beds. But the beds have edging around them, including under the soil, and the daylilies have never spread outside of the flower beds and they don't pop up anywhere else. So they seem quite manageable to me.

DoctorInevitable
Newly Registered

The ditch lilies I'm familiar with are very shallow set tubers. Very hardy and tough to kill.
The good news is they sell 50 tubers for $125.
Doc

Ianmacseumas
Newly Registered

Try eating them. You will change your mind about about wishing them harm. They are the finest greens to be had. And the flowers/buds are divine, raw or sautéed or mixed into your summer salads. Harvest greens when 6 to 8 inches tall. Cut them off 1/2" below soil level. Pick flower buds the day before they open. Entire plant is not only edible but delicious.

Return to “Perennials”