espectroundead
Newly Registered

Leggy Begonia

I have a begonia in a pot that has become very leggy. Any advice as to what I can do to stop this? It's kept in partial sun, it gets about 3 hrs of direct sunlight. Do you guys think it might just need more sun? or maybe I should prune it?

applestar
Mod

Leggy begonia is almost definitely due to insufficient (sun)light. Is it a wax begonia (typical bedding plant) or some other kind of begonia? (tuberous, winged, begonia rex...) Where do you keep it now?

...just a little OT but I saw a 1/2" cube flat of tiny wax begonias -- maybe two pairs of true leaves -- that each had one little flower at the grower's co-op. just for fun, I asked how much the flat was, and it was something like $56. when I expressed surprise, he said there are 500 begonias in there. :shock:

espectroundead
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Leggy begonia is almost definitely due to insufficient (sun)light. Is it a wax begonia (typical bedding plant) or some other kind of begonia? (tuberous, winged, begonia rex...) Where do you keep it now?

...just a little OT but I saw a 1/2" cube flat of tiny wax begonias -- maybe two pairs of true leaves -- that each had one little flower at the grower's co-op. just for fun, I asked how much the flat was, and it was something like $56. when I expressed surprise, he said there are 500 begonias in there. :shock:
Hello, the type of begonia I have is a winged begonia. It's under a porch and it gets very little sun (it's in shade most of the day). How much sun can a begonia take?

wow $56 is still pretty pricey for a plant that is so easily propagated.

Return to “Perennials”