superschwein22
Cool Member

Reason to worry?

So, I was out weeding again and just checked on maybe some early growth from my perennials and this is the result: I have new growth on my sedum, shasta daisies, asters and mums but the golden rod I have looks pretty sad. All of the above were cut to the ground when they were done for the season. Does the golden rod start a little later than the others?
To clarify, the new growth I have on some plants is very minimal but I do think this is normal as we are so early in the year.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Cool, I seemed to remember that I got the goldenrod in July last year and it was in full bloom. But then again, they are forced to bloom early at some stores so that might explain that, as well.
I had tons of honeybees last year and also some butterflies. I hope this year it will get better still since I will plant a lot more plants. What is funny is that I didn't pay much attention to what I would attract but it really worked out and has since then become a focus point for me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I agree. Fall blooming perennials, including goldenrod, tend to appear above ground later in the spring than the things that bloom earlier.

Sounds like your garden is going great!

superschwein22
Cool Member

Nothing to brag about, really, lol. But I'm thinking in a decade or so I might have it down, haha.
Small baby steps but so far I haven't had any major disappointments and getting answers here really has helped me a lot since (clearly) I am a worrier.

Return to “Perennials”