superschwein22
Cool Member

And yet another question about bulbs

I just bought daffodils at the store, potted and blooming, for inside. I know this may be a dumb question but I would like to plant the bulbs outside afterwards. What is the best time to do this? I mean, should I wait until next fall, since that is when bulbs are typically planted or can I just plant them outside once the danger of frost has cleared?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Generally bulbs that are forced in doors if they come back out of doors it will take at least two years. After they finish blooming this year set the pot outside then in the fall plant them in the ground along with a handful of bonemeal.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Thank you so much. When I bought them it didn't even occur to me that it was the wrong season due to the mild winter we've been having, lol. Then when I had them at home, I was slightly upset with myself. Well, as long as they stand a chance I will try it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My experience with daffodils is that they're quite tough. I've planted the bulbs at all seasons of the year, and they've survived just fine. Bullthistle is right that you probably won't get flowers for a season or two, but you should see healthy leaves grow. I'd go ahead and put those bulbs in the ground now. :)

superschwein22
Cool Member

Really, with the frost that we must still get? I mean who knows with how the winter has been going, lol, but I'm sure it'll get colder... If I plant them now won't the flowers die right away? I am not too unhappy about losing the blooming for a couple of seasons as long as the plants survive at all but I wouldn't want to cut it short either.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I thought you just wanted to plant the bulbs outdoors, after they were finished blooming. Did I misunderstand? Of course the flowers would die if you planted them outdoors now, but the bulbs themselves actually need a period of cold over the winter. They'll do fine underground, even if you get freezing weather.

superschwein22
Cool Member

No, I wanted to plant them after blooming but you said you would go ahead and plant them now which surprised me.

superschwein22
Cool Member

Thank you. It is really nice to have a place to ask all these questions and have severeal people help you out with it. Gardening as a whole is so new to me and it definitely helps to be on this forum.

Return to “Perennials”