xomed28
Newly Registered

Does anyone grow brugmansias ? (angel trumpets)

I like to grow them and was wondering if anyone here liked or grew them. Thanks!!!

Newt
Greener Thumb

A friend sent me two and they were beautiful all summer in pots on my deck. Because of where I live I had to bring them indoors for the winter. They both got a really bad case of scale and were a mess before long. I have so many houseplants that I ended up trashing them.

When I was in Peru and Ecuador they grew wild there. The fragrance in the evening was intoxicating.

Newt

rjj

xomed28 wrote:I like to grow them and was wondering if anyone here liked or grew them. Thanks!!!
I grow a few. Got tired of overwintering so many of them. Some were getting pretty big. So I picked out 3 or 4 to go in the greenhouse and took cuttings off the others and wintered over the cuttings in water. Getting ready to pot them up in a few days.

Here in my zone, some people leave them in the ground and put a few inches of mulch over them. No winter storage hassle.:D

randy

xomed28
Newly Registered

Sorry it took so long to get back. My computer quit the day I join. I am sorry they did not work out for you both. Cindy

Durgan
Cool Member

Plants are started in March indoors from seed. The Datura Metal Yellow is very slow growing, The Devils Trumpet is fast growing, and sometimes the seeds are simply planted in the oudoor garden. The plants get very large in surface space. I have grown the purple one but find it unattractive so don't grow it anymore.

Pictures of my . I have four plants that were started in February. It is very slow growing and when I put them outdoors some bugs attacked, I think earwigs, but never saw them. They grow quite tall about three feet and supply yellow flowers all summer. This is a complement to the Devil's Trumpet , a white flower.

These pictures ( Datura Devils Trumpet) indicate just how large this plant can get. This is about three months growth, and it will get larger. There are two plants about a foot apart. I supported the side branches, since they break in a strong wind sometimes. The flowers last about two days and later in the season I remove 120 flowers. It produces new blooms daily, and if not picked one has numerous seed pods, which are about he size of a table tennis ball with many spines.

This plant can be very invasive in warmer climates due to reseeding. The plant is poisonous to animals, and some people ingest and smoke the flowers with disasterous results, meaning severe sickness. Apparently a "trip" is a three day nightmare; of which, the subject person remembers nothing if he survives.

18 August 2006. Devils Trumpet (two Plants) is in full bloom this morning. It might be informative to compare this with the first post in this thread to view the astonishing growth.
Durgan.

Durgan.

xomed28
Newly Registered

Durgan, Your daturas are pretty. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I have a Devil's Trumpet - winters are milder here and so long as it is sheltered some, it overwinters just fine. I like it, though it is more tropical than the rest of my garden plants!

Lizzy lady
Newly Registered

We started growing Brugmansias and Daturas about 3 years ago. The trick to overwintering is to put them in a dark corner of the basement and give them a cup or two of water every two or three weeks, even if you forget, don't worry. We haven't lost one yet. This also eliminates the scale or bug problem. By March they start sprouting pale green leaves and after the last frost I move them outside in the shade until they are used to full sun. We have about six of them and they are at least 8' tall. Last year when the Brugmansias started to bloom, we counted 50 flowers all opening at the same time. The smell was intoxicating.

Durgan
Cool Member

Grey wrote:I have a Devil's Trumpet - winters are milder here and so long as it is sheltered some, it overwinters just fine. I like it, though it is more tropical than the rest of my garden plants!
I am a little curious why one would want to overwinter the Devils Trumpet. It grows profusely in my Zone 5 simply from the seeds that over-winter. I do admit to starting two plants in the greenhouse in April so the floweiring season lasts longer, but I usually allow a few to grow from the over wintering ones and still get a marvellous display.

Durgan.

Durgan
Cool Member

Grey wrote:I have a Devil's Trumpet - winters are milder here and so long as it is sheltered some, it overwinters just fine. I like it, though it is more tropical than the rest of my garden plants!
I am a little curious why one would want to overwinter the Devils Trumpet. It grows profusely in my Zone 5 simply from the seeds that over-winter. I do admit to starting two plants in the greenhouse in April so the floweiring season lasts longer, but I usually allow a few to grow from the over wintering ones and still get a marvellous display.

Durgan.

SarahFair

I know this is an old thread and all but why start a new one when this is the topic I want :)

I live near Athens Ga and planted 5 angel trumpets in the ground a good few weeks ago..
They are doing fine so far.
I firstly want to make sure I'm pruning them right to become a tree and not a bush..
If you could give me direction on this...
and secondly
Will it make it through the winters here in the ground or have I flubbed up?

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

What I do to keep mine in a tree form, is to simply just peal off the leaves you don't want, along the trunk. As for over wintering in your area, I'm not exactly sure, but I think they should. Hopefully someone from your area will come along and tell you for sure.

Return to “Perennials”