OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

My white Flowers are turning yellow

I noticed that the flowers I got are turning Yellow orangie I thought its over watering but I've been lettring it dehydrate a lil bit but everyday they keep turning more and more even the new flowers that are bearly growing are also turning yellow. Any idea before they die on me [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2011-12-27215657.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've already mentioned that the plant I had like this one died. I believe it would have lived if I had planted it in the ground outdoors. I no longer have a URL to offer you, but I seem to remember reading that this species prefers cooler temperatures. I always intended to plant mine in the ground, but I kept putting it off because I was so busy with other things. The poor plant died before I ever got it replanted. :(

If I someday get another one of this species, I definitely will plant it outdoors, rather than trying to keep it as an indoor container plant. If you want to keep yours in a container, slip it out of the pot and take a good look at the roots. It might be root bound and just need a larger container. While it's out of the pot, you can see if you've overwatered the plant and caused root rot to set in.

This is such a pretty little species. I hope yours survives and flourishes for you. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Its weird because I did repot it to a bigger pot and during the process, a small root with a little green in it fell of, so the little one I repot it on a small pot by its self and is doing great but has no flowers yet this one is turning brown, and my last option will be taking it outside and maybe seperate them and hope one will survive and prolife its self into many more, I guess they are just delicate

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I seem to recall that they bloom in early spring, which is probably why I got the idea they preferred cooler temps.

You might try deadheading your plant. Sometimes that causes a plant to produce new buds ands flowers.

When you repotted, did you use garden soil, or a good potting mix? Garden soil doesn't drain rapidly enough for potted plant's. It's a matter of the structure of the soil at a granular level, not the richness of the soil. If you used garden soil, that's all the more reason to slip the plant out of its container and check the dampness of the soil and the condition of the roots.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Actually I used the Garden so Maybe that is Why Huh? but I'm trying to buy some soil today so if I do I will Repot it with New Fresh Soil with some Vermiculite as I noticed that stuff lets things draing real Good.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, be sure the soil you buy is specifically marked "potting" soil. Drainage in a container is restricted by the sides and bottom, unlike in the open ground where water can drain off freely in any direction. Roots need air, as well as water, in order to stay healthy, and if the soil is constantly saturated with water, air can't penetrate into the tiny crevices of the soil. It's amazing how quickly roots will start to rot when the soil is kept saturated.

When soil doesn't drain rapidly and thoroughly, the top half will often look and feel dry, while the part in the bottom half of the container is soaking wet and even muddy.

It is safe to gently slide the rootball out of the container and examine it. I encourage new gardeners to do this with their potted plants. Many times a person will be confident that they aren't overwatering a plant, and actually seeing what the soil looks like in conditions like overwatering can be a good lesson. It also can help people to understand why soil dug from the garden doesn't work well in containers.

I do hope your little plant survives. I've been trying to find another one in the stores, but so far I've been unsuccessful. If we can get yours healthy again, maybe you can send me a little start someday. :D

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

So I just changed the Soil and what I found Surprised me, Like You said the Top Was Dry soil and as I diged to removed the plant and roots carefully, the bottom soil was muddy and a worm in it, idk how the worm got in there but the soil was all wet, so I changed it and hope it does better, in knowing that I checked one of my growing tomatoes and the same with it, so I took advantage of changing that one too, Thanks for the advice I'm going to keep an eye on both plants.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You're very welcome. Keep us posted on how your plants are progressing. :)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Now that Soil is different, something that drains good, put it on the window with most sunlight the Plant is actually coming back, as bad as the plant looks it was worst before this picture is from today, Thanks. [img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-01-06133737.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can remove the less-than-attractive flowers without harming the plant. That's called "deadheading" and can nudge the plant into producing new flowers.

Glad the plant is perking up for you! :)

Return to “Perennials”