David23

Digging plants up in November and Potting ?

I normally do any potting up in spring onwards not at this time of year. I was forced to dig some plants out of my garden due to them being in the way in a new project I am doing. I have dug up Erysium bowles mauve and other perennial wall flowers and some alpine perennial ground coverer's. I wondered since I potted them up if I ought to trim back the wallflowers particularly(perennial ones) . I have put them inside the greenhouse since its late in the year. A good amount of leaf growth is still on them but its dying away from it now I've put it in a 3 L pot. Do you think I should cut back this years growth 'only' back to the main stems so the plant can focus on rooting a bit before winter. The Uk is currently an average of 5-7 degrees C in November at night. Thanks for your help.

David

Runningtrails

I would cut them back. You're going to lose all growth that soon anyway.
Do you plan to keep them potted all winter? They have to be very hardy to survive winter in a pot, unless your greenhouse is heated.
The rule of thumb for a plant to survive the winter outside in a pot is that it be zoned for a winter two zones colder than where it is.

David23

I was going to insulate my greenhouse with 'big bubbled' wrap around the insides and make internal sections for double insulation since I created this problem for myself. I am not in a position to heat it though. In the british isles its not quite so bad as many US and canadian states hopefully. I can bring the perennial wallflowers inside and put it next to my double glazed window in my home. For the others is it true to say the 'less hardy ones' will loose there leaves more swiftly even when evergreen if potted at the wrong time of year? If this is the case I can take the ones that yellow up badly in my greenhouse NOTICEABLY into my actual house near the window behind double glazing. I could give you a list of 15-20 plants to say 'yes' or 'no' to if you could help me. If not I will look each one up I think.

Thank you.

Return to “Perennials”