BarbaraParis

Is it Dead? (cattleya orchid)

Someone gave me this orchid. I think it's dead but I'm not sure. What do you think? Should I throw it to the compost? :(

[img]https://i53.tinypic.com/1693pxs.jpg[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I am not into orchids but I'd give it a shot. Leaves are not dried, but getting there.

BarbaraParis

Thanks, I will give it an opportunity :D

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Try it out. I have had Basil look worse and bounce back. I had another plant have all its leaves dried and dead but the roots kinda looked like they were not completely dried out. Well the plant came back too.

monawatusi

Just curious but what did you decide to do with this orchid? I was given 13 different orchids in various conditions....they were all very stressed...some limped along for a year...in the end I only have 3 left.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OTOH, I was given approx. a dozen cymbidiums in October 2008 or 2009 (I posted it somewhere here at THG) b/c my across-the-street neighbor had forgotten to take care of them beneath her lemon tree behind her house and they were at death's door.

Two of them were well and truly beyond saving. But the rest have survived, and two even sent up spikes for me last winter! :) This fall I need to remember to give them some FOOD and see whether I get blooms....

But I never managed to succeed with cattleyas at our other house, and here in El Cerrito I just haven't tried.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lorax
Greener Thumb

Really, Cynthia? I've always found Catts to be just about indestructable. The one shown above will bounce back once planted in some nice orchid bark and given plenty of water. I've actually actively tried to kill Catts and been unsuccessful - I had a blooming specimen tied to a stump in full tropical sun and it just kept on blooming.

Return to “Perennials”