andrea922

Lavender transplant?

Hi, wow I haven't been on here in a while!

I would like to divide and transplant lavender. Can this be done this time of year or should I wait until spring? I am in CT.

I have heard lavender is very difficult to divide due to large taproot. Any suggestions on how this should be done? It is getting huge and almost blocking my front steps at this point!

Thanks so much!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Spring not now. See if there are any small plants under it, sometimes that happens and they can easily be transplanted, I found one this year. As for the old plant have you been pruning it down or just letting it get woody. You should have been cutting it back every year to about a 1/3 of it's height. As for transplanting such a large specimen, I personally haven't had much luck dividing them successfully once they are very large. Maybe someone else has tried something I didn't think of.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lavender does not divide or transplant well. If it is a big old plant that has started to die out in the center with new growth around the edges, there may be rooted branches that you can section off to be a new plant.

Otherwise, just cut it back and use all that lavender!!

andrea922

Thank you both. I have been cutting it back every year, but I never imagined it would get this large so fast. I looked on some other sites and there are such mixed reviews on how to transplant it. Most people say it does not divide or transplant well....but then some others have actually dug it out and split it in quarters with a sharp knife and claim that it survived and each section is thriving. I'm so torn....I think I might try it and if it doesn't work I will just buy a new one in the spring.

Return to “Perennials”