fall253
Newly Registered

Miniature Irises

I would like to get some miniature irises for a friend of mine. The problem is that I don't really have any experience with irises and she's not really an 'outdoor girl'. Is there any way that miniature irises would thrive as an indoor potted plant?

Thanks for your help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That is an excellant question that I'm sure one of our esteemed moderators (Grey or Newt) will answer. I should think that they would be okay, but generally speaking plants do better outside.

My mother grows irises indoors but, like I have already said: I'm
sure that either Grey or Newt will provide you with some great details on growing them

As always, if anyone has any experience please feel free to add your thoughts!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Fall,

I've never heard of growing iris indoors. These are plants that need a dormant chill period. Sometimes you will see them available in late winter or spring, but they have been forced with cold temps and are usually disposed of after bloom.

Are you looking for a houseplant that blooms for your friend? If so, what type of light conditions does she have? Is she somewhat experienced with house plants?

Newt

fall253
Newly Registered

She's not experienced with plants at all! She absolutely loathes getting dirty so I was thinking that an indoor plant would be the best way to go and irises are her favorite flowers so they seemed like the best choice.

I'd rather do what's best for the plant though so it looks like I'll just have to go back to the drawing board for a gift.

Thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hmmm.... the only way I can think of getting irises to maybe grow and bloom indoors is if she has a fairly bright room, and puts the whole pot in the fridge for a couple of months a year. It might work.

Other than that, some indoor plants that require next to no attention are the peace lily (there is a short variety that I have here at home - when it gets wilty I know it's time to water everybody, it springs back in no time). There are also philodendrons, african violets (they need a little attention tho, but they bloom all the time!).

Give us some more info, and we'll try to help!

fall253
Newly Registered

Grey, I appreciate the suggestions, but I think I'm just going to scrap the idea of getting her a plant.

She's really more of a clothes horse anyway and that way she won't have to worry about remembering to water a new sweater. :lol:

Return to “Perennials”