seaellare
Cool Member

daffodils?

We have had such a mild winter here (zone 7 SC), that my daffodil bulbs that I planted last fall have started sprouting. :shock: They are on a bank on the side of my driveway. I'm excited about how many will actually bloom, but I'm afraid they are popping up too early. I know that I'm supposed to fertilize them after they sprout but before they bloom, but should I do it now? I don't think that they normally bloom this early, but because I just planted them a few months ago, I'm not sure what to expect?

Also - do I need to worry about any freeze/frost if it is in the forecast (it's not in the next 2 wks)? What should I do with the foliage - or what should I cover it with?

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, and they start leafing out this early - none of my other plants are doing much - hydrangeas, asiatic lillies, cheddar pinks...

Any help is much appreciated!

Christine

Grey
Greener Thumb

A lot of my bulbs and plants are confused as well. My dogwoods have started budding, my quince has a few early blossoms, my neighbor's forsythia are blooming (mine aren't) and I noticed some growth on my roses! Way too early. I am also concerned - I don't think it will kill the plants to have the frosts bite them back when we get them, but I think our blooms and spring may not be so impressive this year.

I've never seen this before, not this early, so it's rather new to me. I was actually wondering the same thing! I have lots of leaves I could put over the bulbs, but I'm not sure what to do for the new growth on the roses.

Newt
Greener Thumb

This strange warm winter is causing plant confusion. For bulbs, the best you can do is hope they don't get flower buds or blossoms and apply mulch to the soil so the bulbs don't heave. If they do flower, they won't bloom again this spring and you'll have to wait until the following year. Do not fertilize now as that could cause even more growth before the hard freeze happens.

Not much you can do for trees and shrubs except mulch to protect the roots. Do not prune now as this could cause a flush of new growth that won't have time to harden off before a hard freeze. Some trees and shrubs might set buds and bloom again in the spring, but if they don't they should bloom just fine the following spring.

Newt

seaellare
Cool Member

Haha - just found out our temp is supposed to go down to 32 tonight, and then 28 tomorrow night! Should I bring a sheet out and cover the bulbs? Some hae 3" - 4" of growth, although no flowering yet...

Newt
Greener Thumb

No need to cover them. They're tough plants.

Stay warm!
Newt

seaellare
Cool Member

Okey dokey, I'll leave them :) Thanks so much!!!!

Return to “Perennials”