twittel

Perennial Hibiscus

Greetings from the Sandhills of North Carolina. I have a perennial (hardy) hibiscus (moy grande) that has a ton of bugs. I think aphids. Before spraying for the bugs, I deadheaded the seed pods and now have a bucket of seeds that I would like to plant.

I assume the little round seed balls are viable.

Should I keep my seeds until next spring after the frost, or should I try and start seeds now? I've never planted hibiscus seeds, don't know how or when. I'd sure appreciate any advice and getting your experience with this big growing, beautiful blossom tree. I have lots of seed and thought I would like to plant a hibiscus hedge; maybe 6-8 plants. I think it would look awesome! Thanks in advance.

twittel

After careful examination of the hibiscus seeds, I see they may not be viable as I'm finding many of them hollow. I think whatever bug (beetle, aphid?) was on the plant has attacked the flower heads. As a result, I probably lost all my seed.

I may have found a couple of good seeds and soaked them in water overnight. I'll nick the seed hulls and put them in some starter soil, just to see what happens.

My vision of a hibiscus hedge is slowing getting blurring!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Soaking the seeds might be the answer but I don't have a clue how large or small the seeds are, however they may have attacked the flowers but I doubt the seed heads but the energy taken from the flowers may have sucked the life out of the seeds, but I would wait until frost and the remove the seeds and plant half then and the other half in the spring. I just ordered some woody plant seeds and put them in a silt and manure mix in afternoon sun, only half since I don't want all my eggs in one basket. You may want to find an organic type spray. Find out the difference between a beetle and an aphid so you can learn to identify what your problem is and the odds are there is a host plant nearby.

twittel

Bullthistle, thanks for your information.

I've identified my bug problem as root weevil. Online images of the weevil match what I'm finding on my two hibiscus. The weevil have definitely eaten out the seeds and pods. Now that I know what I'm battling, I can take the offense. For starters, I think I'm going to try some parasitic nematodes around the plant soil. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll go with chemical warfare.

We could use some Hurricane Irene rain here in the Sandhills; but not at the expense of damage to others on the coast.

Return to “Perennials”