lily51
Greener Thumb

Any special advice for butterly weed?

I started some butterly weed ([u[u]]Asclepia tuberosa[/u[/u]]) from seed in Feb in the greenhouse. I'm pleasantly surprised at how beautifully it is blooming, as I had read it takes a couple years to really get going. Guess it was started early enough.
Is there anything special to do to make sure it survives through the winter? Thanks ahead for the info. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Glad it is blooming already since many do not bloom until the second year. Just make certain you amend the soil with compost or manure and a handful of bone meal and make sure it is not in a windy location and get your camera ready for next year.

buzzcut

I have the orange butterfly weed and also a yellow one (which I really like). I started both from seed and haven't done a thing to them after planting. really impressed with both! rather a "carefree" plant imo.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Good to know they're carefee..that's the kind of plant I like. :)

buzzcut

also, they will reseed. so, if you don't want to see a few "popping" up around the neighborhood, you might want to consider doing some deadheading.

and, I did read somewhere they do like sandy, gravel-type areas. I see one has popped up in a crack in between our neighbors curb and the street pavement. just imagine what kinda soil that is---and, it's doing fabulous (why the neighbor doesn't yank it, I don't know why----but, he isn't exactly known for "yardwork" if you know what I mean). maybe he just enjoys looking at it?

Return to “Perennials”