bookworm14
Newly Registered

Starting Agapanthus seeds. Problem or not?

I had about 20 Agapanthus seeds that I planted about 3 weeks ago. After about 10 days they started germinating, but seem to have quit growing. The cotyledons are still in the seed coat, there are no branches or hairs on the roots, and they are going nowhere. Is that typical for these plants, or is it too hot, or what?
bookworm14

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never grown Agapanthus from seed, but I wouldn't think it would be typical for any plant to sit there for 11 days without producing roots or leaves. About three weeks minus about 10 days = about 11 days, but there's a lot of about in there and it makes a difference. If about three weeks was really 18 days and about 10 days was really 12 days, then they've only been sitting there 6 days which is not so worrisome.

I wouldn't think too hot, since they originate in Africa.

I did find this:

"Growing Agapanthus from seed is a slow process. Sow the seeds in the early spring. Fresh seeds germinate easily at 70-80 deg. F (20-25 deg. C) and usually within 3 to 8 weeks. However, it takes up to 2 to 3 months. Grow on in pots. It takes from 3-4 years before the plants flower."

https://www.theflowerexpert.com/content/growingflowers/flowersandseasons/agapanthus

So it sounds like they require a lot of patience!

Return to “Perennials”