john gault
Green Thumb

Proper Planting Method

I've planted several shade-loving perennials in an attempt to brighten up a very dark area of my yard. However, I believe I made a mistake; I planted in a way in which some of my plants are in a depression. I didn't do this intentionally, well maybe it was a subconscious effort to make a pool area for water to gather -- we've been in a little bit of a drought lately. :oops:

So my problem is that all the mulch eventually collects in the hole and the base of the plant is always moist, stressing out the plant. Although I do have some plants that I managed to plant on the level, but I still experience the same problem, granted not nearly as bad as the plants in a depression.

So I'm thinking from now on I'm going to plant the perennials on top of a slight mound. Is there a problem with this method?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

No, it should be fine, as long as you provide sufficient water for the plant. I would suggest just setting the root ball on the surface of the ground, not on a mound, then filling in around it with soil. Create a mound of soil over the root ball, if necessary, so the roots aren't exposed to the air. It's a planting technique often used in locations with poor drainage.

Also, mulch should not come in contact with the stem of a plant. Keep it a couple of inches away. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Perennials”