Gardening Grandma
Newly Registered

IRIS stopped Blooming

I live in ND and ordered some Iris a few years ago online from a California company. They were beautiful the first Spring, but they only bloomed that first year. They continued to get beautiful green leaves, but stopped blooming. I dug them up, amended the soil and replanted them, but they never bloomed. Are they a lost cause, or will they bloom again?

What can I do???

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Okay something happened after the first year. You amended the soil. Do you have borers? Enough sun? By chance did you fertilize or use bone meal? Is the soil too moist? They shouldn't be too crowded after one year so what changed?

Gardening Grandma
Newly Registered

When I amended the soil all I used was some peat moss to break the soil down a little. I never fertilized it. I did use a bag of soil that had some vitamins in it, and only one out of the 20 different iris bloomed. We did have an usually wet spring.

Also, I was thinking about putting them into a raised bed. Can you use them in the MIDWEST where we get cold winters???

shadowsmom

Is it possible they are planted too deeply? They like to be sitting like a duck in the water, not totally the dirt.

Return to “Perennials”