Gardening Grandma
Newly Registered

Transplant Iris in ND

I live in ND and had to dig up my Iris and it is the end of July. Should I wait until the ground gets colder (fall) to replant them, or would it be best to plant them now?

I originally ordered some of these Iris from California and they bloomed beautifully the first year, but stopped after that. I know enough about Iris to know not to plant them too deep and to not mulch them or they will rot, but I am very disappointed that they only bloomed the one time since they were beautiful.

Just a side note...I have read that Iris need the cold climate (lucky I live in ND) in order to become dormant....how do they grow them in warm states such as CA??? :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't have any expertise about this, but off the top of my head I would replant them now, just because what else are you going to do with them? It's hard for me to imagine that storing them at this point of the year (when they are green and growing not dormant) would be better for them than putting them back in the ground.

You are right July/Aug would not be the preferred time to be transplanting your iris, but it sounds like something else was driving the need to do that.

Given that they have to be moved in the middle of big heat stress, I would cut the fans back a little bit, so the disturbed roots have less greens to support, keep them well watered (but not waterlogged) for awhile, and provide them a bit of protection from hot afternoon sun. Iris are pretty tough and hardy, will probably be fine.

I think iris will grow in warm weather climates, just not bloom. The people who are growing them for sale probably don't want them blooming first.

Return to “Perennials”