schube5
Newly Registered

Rose of Sharon - How difficult is it to propogate from seed?

Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to propogate Rose of Sharon from seed? what are some of the pitfalls? What are the steps I need to follow to try and prpogate from seeds?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Schube,

Rose of Sharon is easy to propagate from seed. This site explains how to grow seeds in a greenhouse, but you can sow the seeds indoors as well.
https://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Hibiscus+syriacus

Newt

Grey
Greener Thumb

I've never tried it from seed, but it's very easy from cuttings. I took a cutting in the spring of last year, about 3" high, and by Fall it had grown to 18" and had put out three blooms.

I just did the usual basic kind of cutting - set it in a bottle of water until it rooted, then set it in a pot of soil and made sure it didn't get too much sun or water (honestly I was so busy last summer it's a miracle it lived, let alone grew).

Durgan
Cool Member

I have grown the Rose of Sharon from seed in pots, but it takes about two to three years before they are any reasonable size.

21 July 2006. My present 8 plants were dug up from a friends garden, which is probably the best method to get some. Almost any dug up shoot will grow. They are a marvellous plant.

https://xrl.us/o98s

These were twigs when planted three years ago. They lurk green for a long time and suddenly burst into colour. I have a white and pink types. I will add more at some date. Nothing attacks them. I suspect they appreciate a lot of water for fast growth, but just an observation. When pruning one must not take off too much vegetation, and not from the tips of the branches. They are very slow starting in the spring, and one almost asssumes they are dead until growth commences.
Durgan.

fancy

At a friend's house last summer I saw Japanese beetles on their Rose of Sharon bushes. I called them the next day and he said the bugs were all gone when he went out to spray. I believe this is because those beetles swarm around and land and then take off again.

Candida

I have a Rose of Sharon about 8 feet away from my perennial flower beds and they self-sow like crazy so they must be very easy to start from seed.

Return to “Perennials”