CarolM

How and When to Divide Russian Sage?

How/when to divide?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Divide it (if you have to!) in early fall or in early spring once the ground is unfrozen.

Cut all the stems back to a foot tall or less, so the newly divided/transplanted roots don't have so much top growth to support.

Dig the whole thing up, digging in a wide circle around it, to dig up as much of all the little roots as you can.

Depending on how big and tough it is, you may have to split it with sharp knife or straight edged spade. They are pretty woody, so this part may not be easy.

Replant the two new plants immediately. (Helps to have the planting holes all dug and prepared first before you dig it up.)

CarolM

Thanks Roger....GREAT website!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not Roger. Roger, aka Webmaster, and Scott, aka The Helpful Gardener, are only here contributing occasionally. What keeps what they started a great website, is all of us who hang out here just because we are passionate gardeners, who love to read and write and talk and share about gardening. Glad you joined us!

organicgardenerswife

I have lots of Russian Sage too, and I am finding that it can be very dominant! I almost wish I hadn't planted it in my flowerbed. It is kinda huge and sloppy. I made a wooden fence to put in front of it to keep it from falling over onto my other flowers. A lot of people comment on it, saying it's beautiful - even though most of them think it's Lavender. :)

I know I will need to divide mine sometime, I am not looking forward to the job! It is a messy, although beautiful, plant.

Return to “Perennials”