steiny
Newly Registered

Caterpillars Ravaged My Delphiniums...Now What?

I have a Delphinium in a pot on my balcony. It bloomed wonderfully over the last month and the last few blooms were just about to open when a bunch of caterpillars invaded and ate about 90 percent of the leaves/remaining buds off within about 36 hours. I'm left with a bunch of 10 to 14 inch twigs with a few leaves on some.

I've done some research online but I'm not sure what to do now. Do I cut all of the stems down to the dirt and start over or wait until Fall to do it as I would anyways?

There's some new green up just peeking out of the dirt as well, which is a good sign I think.

I really hope there's a chance I can it back to bloom again later this Summer, but for now I want to get it healthy again. Any feedback is appreciated.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

It should come back. If the caterpillars are gone, you can trim any ridiculously damaged growth back, but if you have new leaves on the tips, they will recover, sort of. If you have ten inches of naked stem, you'll probably still have ten inches of naked stem by end of the summer, with a few sprouts from below and more above.

Return to “Perennials”