new_growth
Newly Registered

Gardenia: better off contained?

I recently ordered trailing gardenia and was wondering if I should plant it in a container or in the ground.

I'm in zone 5a, but the plant hardiness is more like 6-10, so I figure I'm probably pushing it. Admittedly, I'm a bit stubborn about wanting to plant it outside. I hear that if you plant near foundation and mulch, it'll keep the soil from freezing and will allow you to grow less cold-tolerant plants.

The spot I was looking at is about 8 inches wide by two feet long and is snug between a sidewalk and pavement, with a brick wall on one end. Would this be an okay spot, or would it keep the soil from draining and create a bucket effect? If the latter is the case, would there be a way to work around it?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Remember the old saying, "You can't fool Mother Nature." I've had plants winter over when we had warm ones but when the norm comes back, they are gone. I'd put them in a container and move them inside. Why waste your time and money.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The intended planting spot might be okay weather-wise, depending on the exposure. However, I agree with bullthistle about planting in a container and bringing it indoors during the winter.

Another point to consider is whether that spot provides enough room for the plant and its roots. A mature trailing gardenia will have a height of 2 to 3 feet and will spread out over a space of 4 to 6 feet. I don't think it would be very happy confined in the small space you described. It's going to grow across that sidewalk and you will have to prune it back ... constantly.

And still another thing you'll want to be careful of is the pH of the soil. Gardenias like a pH between 5 and 6.5. The soil near pavement can have a pH as high as 7. Your gardenia wouldn't be very comfortable in that environment, I think.

All just my opinion, of course. :)

new_growth
Newly Registered

Haha, I was worried some sane people might talk me into doing what's logical! Sometimes I just want to do things the hard way.

Thank you, bullthistle and Kisal for the advice. I'll definitely be listening to it. Even more so considering that I think I might be over my head as it is with this plant. I'll probably have a hard enough time caring for it without the added elements of uncontrollable weather.

But hey, on the bright side, it should liven up my living room during the winter. The place could use some green stuff. :wink:

Return to “Perennials”