Boxwood
Newly Registered

My First Plant: Bleeding Heart

I am beginning a project of a variety of plants and flowers. Unfortunately, I don't have land, I live in an apartment. So I wish to slowly build a fantastic display all over my balcony, lol.

I've chosen and bought my very first plant "Valentine Bleeding Heart" (Dicentra Valentine). I've had to create shade, crude for now, I know, and the fence around it is because of my honary cat who loves to mess with things I like, lol. (Oh...can't figure out how to upload a picture on here...gimme some time to figure it out, lol).

[img]https://cityofxeno.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/bleedingheartpicjpeg0011.jpg[/img]

My question is that I've read many websites about proper watering for the bleeding heart, but they all seem to vary. I know that I must keep the soil moist, but not too soggy as it could cause root rot.

Is there any standard way of telling if my soil is moist enough? I've heard somewhere that if you take a small twig and stick it in the soil, when you pull it out, dirt should be stuck to it.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

---Boxwood[/img]

Hortman

Hello Boxwood. Ken here in the Chicago area. I hope you figure out how to post a picture.
I would love to see your bleeding heart. Anyway, bleeding hearts need well draining soil
and regular water. Make sure your pot drains well. What I do to check for watering
is stick my finger as far down into the pot as I can and if it comes up dry at the tip I water.
You can also use a moisture meter, which is available at any garden store.
I hope this helps. Take care.

Return to “Perennials”