Northerner

Silver Lace Vine, anyone?

Hello Gardening friends:
How wonderful to be back in the gardening mode. I have jumped on the winter sowing bandwagon - I had imagined it was possible for many years - and so I have had my hands in the dirt already. Because of large trees planted in our yard, I am running out of sunny space, and so I am thinking of going vertical. I love the silver lace vine, and I wonder if I could plant it to climb up a group of 3 cedars (about 25 feet tall) on the east side of my house. I notice its 'cousin', the wild cucumber, will climb up a tree, but will not strangle or harm it an anyway. Will the silver lace vine also grow this way? I have also seen a white-flowered hydrangea grow this way some time ago but I don't know the name of the cultivar, so it's not a choice. Any help will be appreciated.

Northerner- Canada Zone 4.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The silver lace vine would be borderline for you in Zone 4, and it is VERY vigourous so might take over more of that tree than you'd like...

Hydrangea Vine (H. anomala petiolaris) is Zone 4 hardy, MUCH less invasive and my favorite vine, period, so I say go with the second thought...

Scott

Return to “Perennials”