jam8952

why isn't my carolina allspice blooming

I'm wondering why my carolina allspice isn't blooming I've had it for 2 years now I live in alabama and I ordered it from a nursery online in georgia. I have it planted in a wooded shaded area in my yard and it has not bloomed at all and it seems to grow very slow. I was looking forward to it blooming because I wanted to smell the fragrance from the flowers everybody has been talking about. I might order me another one online but this time from a different nursery maybe a online nursery in north carolina see and how this is where this carolina allspice shrub is native too. I will plant this one in my backyard and I hope they will take full sun or maybe partial sun because my backyard is full to partial sun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it would like full sun very much, but the part sun if it isn't hot afternoon sun, should be ok. Yours may just be too young to bloom yet. You have to be patient with shrubs to get them established.

I have one that is I guess 8 yrs old now, doing well and blooms every year. But in mine anyway, the fragrance is pretty faint. You really have to put your nose up to the flower to tell that it is fragrant.

If you want something that will really perfume the air, try viburnum instead.

Return to “Perennials”