TGMcCallie
Newly Registered

Cutting down Amaryllis

I have cut the green leaves off my Amaryllis. Will this effect the bulb? The reason I did it was they were way too close to my knock out roses and made everything look crowded. I plan on moving them entirely this fall, or can I dig the bulbs up and move them now?

Zone 7b

Thjanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If these bulbs are Amaryllis belladonna, it's too bad that you cut the leaves off. :( Did you leave any leaves on the bulbs? The leaves grow out early and send energy to the bulb for the flower, which emerges later in the summer.

These flowers are native to South Africa; the separate appearance of the leaves and the flowers is an adaptation to the dry summers of their native land.

According to the Sunset Western Garden Book (a major source of info on plants in general, not only in the West), moving the bulbs out of season can cause them to fail to bloom for several years. :shock: Better to wait until after their normal bloom time, when the bulbs would normally be dormant, and move them then. Sunset's exact words: "Lift and divide clumps infrequently; they may not bloom for several years if disturbed at the wrong time."

However, if your amaryllis is Hippeastrum, it doesn't seem to be so particular about being moved *and* the flowers appear either before or simultaneously with the leaves. Sunset doesn't give dire warnings about moving the bulbs, but does recommend fall/winter (I.e., dormant season) transplant/division.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

TGMcCallie
Newly Registered

I don't know what type they are but they are the common ones that you get a Lowes, etc.

Return to “Perennials”