Trumpet vine

Ive planted three trumpet vines in my yard I really thought they would grow as they ususaly do but they didt I can understand why the first one died as it was packaged already I have packaged them before and should of known better because some people package the dead ones and don't care if they are dead or alive but the other 2 I got from someone who had lots I got good roots on them and still didt grow Iplanted them around a fence in the shade mostly maybe thats why I forget if they should planted in shade or sun as iknow more about perennials than vines

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Sharon,

If you are referring to Campsis radicans they need full sun. It can take a couple of years before you see any growth as it takes time for them to establish their roots. Why would you want to plant such an invasive vine? In a few years there will be sprouts from the root system all over your yard, your neighbor's yard and your neighbor's neighbor's yard. In my zone 7 garden they were the last plants to leaf out in spring and the first to lose their leaves in fall.

Newt

Thanks but I thought they would look nice in ontario people have them growing up their posts I know they are hard to kill but my better half wanted some when I was akid growing up we had it growing up our house it was there when my parents got the house it grew up the side the side of the house it was wood sididing the nursery where I worked came and cut it all down for cutting it grew back the same within 2 years it sure attracts the humming birds they sell it at the nursery where I worked for 695 a plant

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sharon, maybe a native honeysuckle like Lonicera sempervirens would be better. Many of the named varieties bloom on and off all summer and aren't invasive. You'll get more bloom time, still attract the hummers and also feed the birds with the berries. Of course I wouldn't recommend any of the imports as they can be invasive in the environment. One of my favorites that I grow is Lonicera sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman'. We've had some frosts here and it's still blooming. I also have a yellow one called L. sempervirens 'John Clayton' and find the hummers don't go to it as much as the others. They can take part sun too.
https://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/66315/

Newt

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

I don't think they would be so invasive in z5.

I've had one for 6-7 years and it finally bloomed this Summer.

The base vine is very thick, but there haven't been any new shoots coming up around it.

I was somewhat disappointed that the buds on the 3 clumps of flowers took so long to open but didn't last very long. I expect there will be more flowers as the plant matures more.

[/img][url]https://www.gardenbuddies.com/forum/messages/14914/1196801.html

Marie aka Jims_wsw[/url]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

One effective way of discerning whether or not a particular plant is invasive in your area is to check the local invasive list. Usually a state or Province will have one that you can access via the web.

Of course, some plants are invasive and not on an invasive list so, don't use this as a be all and end all for invasive plant investigation.

Newt
Greener Thumb

The last person in the link posted by Oldclematislady lives in zone 5 and stated, "All Mine ever did was send off shoots under grown and then they would pop up here and there ...Like that moveie...Tremors?" Just want you all to know that it can take 10 years before you see the sprouts popping up all over the garden. So it's invasiveness tends to be that it will take over your garden, not turn up in the woods 20 miles away.

Newt

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

Hmm, haven't had mine 10 years yet. Maybe that's why no shoots. I'll have to keep an eye out for any, and if they start popping up I'll pull the whole thing out. In this area I already have more blackberry canes than I really need, thanks to the birds.

When it was a year or two old, I must have been doing some construction on the porch that it grows near, and the vine that climbed up the side of the door broke almost completely thru about 2 feet from the base. I thought it might die, so I rooted a cutting, which has been slowly growing in a gallon pot. This Fall I moved it to a much larger pot with a small Sweet Autumn Clematis and placed the pot at the Northwest corner of a huge old Lilac clump. I figured that if it wouldn't flower for a few more years the vines would have something to grow on, and Lilac leaves can look pretty awful, trumpet leaves would have to be better. Hopefully the pot will confine the roots.

I really wouldn't recommend this plant to anyone, unless they could grow it someplace where spreading would not be a problem, like at the edge of the woods or something. Maybe in the Spring I will try to dig it up and move it down to the field by the woodsy section. I would much rather use the arch it grows on for Clematis.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Oldclematislady, you might want to read my post about trumpet vine roots here so you'll have an idea of what to expect if you decide to dig up your trumpet vine.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1735

Newt

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

Wow, this baby can get to be a MONSTER. Thanks for the tip on killing the shoots. Wonder if it would work on blackberries? I do have more than I need. Several containers of berries in the freezer from this years harvest.

Altho Clematis is my favorite vine, I do have to comment on vining honeysuckle. I hadn't really paid that much attention to the "Gold Flame" I have had growing next to Markham's Pink Clem for 6-7 years. It would usually flower a few weeks after MP, but this year it kept on going, a few flowers always in bloom until late October. The yellow & pink flowers aren't really my favorite color combination, but it is nice to always have some flowers in this spot, where I have been reluctant to plant more clems (altho I did put in a Comptesse de Bouchard to go up the same "trellis" {an 8 foot section of black iron fence sideways} this Fall.

I have an older by a year or so red Lonicera a few feet south of MP, but it doesn't do well at all. This is probably because it like the others is planted about 2 feet from the house but the drainage from the roof has left a foot deep ditch between the vines and the house. It hasn't seemed to bother anything else, except a General Sikorsky clem that died next to Markhams.

I did root a cutting from the red and planted it next to the Winterberry bush/tree on the other side of the porch because I couldn't find a red clem that was really red and would be similar to the berries that start to appear in late September. It had been a few years in a gallon pot and hadn't flowered yet, but made good vine growth and roots. It is planted a little further from the house, but the runoff isn't quite so bad in this area. Guess I'll try moving the mother red this Spring, as I have intended for several years but never seem to get a "round tuit". I had tried filling in the end of the ditch in past years, but there is a slight slope on this side and it just washes away again. Actually I'm always surprized that the vine has stayed alive, if not flowering.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Oldclematislady, here's alternative methods for eliminating blackberries without herbicides.
https://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/blackberry/blackberries.html

You mention moving "the mother red" and I'm not sure you mean a clem or a honeysuckle. From everything I've read about transplanting older clematis, it's not been recommended. I moved a Jackmanii once that had been in the ground for 3 years and it did fine. Then the post it had been on for 4 years rusted away and fell over, so I had to move it again. It took about 4 years before it bloomed again, but the Jackmanii is a hardy sort.

What I like about the Gold Flame honeysuckle is the reblooming quality and the fragrance if you can find one this is. They tend to be variable with fragrance so I always recommend purchasing this one in bloom if fragrance is important. I find my honeysuckles bloom best in sun of at least 6 hours. There is a pretty red native called Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson' that's a rebloomer. Maybe that's the red you have.
https://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=B913

Here's my L. sempervirens 'Blanche Sandman', also blooms all season for me. It's still in bloom after a couple of frosts. They are very similar in color.
https://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/low/B934-0701050gk.jpg

I too love my different clematis and often am not sure which is my favorite, the clems or the honeysuckles. I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be my reblooming honeysuckle, just because it blooms for me from June to hard frost, feeds the hummers and the berries feed the birds.

Newt

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

By "mother red" I mean't the original red-orange honeysuckle. I think the name had "scarlet" or "Crimsom" in it. It is one of the more common ones.

Fragrance doesn't mean much to me as I have a rather dead nose.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Your honeysuckle is probably the L. sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'. It's an older variety. Try more sun to see if it's happier.

Have you considered either adding another downspout to the area where the water rushes by? Maybe you can add an extender to the one that's there?

Newt

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

I don't have even one downspout. A few years back I bought some gutter & hangers & my son & I tried to put it up. My intention was to try to channel the rainwater into one of the artificial bogs I had made. Can't remember exactly what the problem was now, but they didn't stay up. Maybe wind.

The roof here is the sloping side. On the other side (West) of the house, very near the property line is an attached shed with a corrugated metal roof that is almost flat by comparison. It has a longer overhang, so the rain lands further away. It is too confined and dark because of the neighbor's privacy fence to grow anything anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

The only good part of the roof is that the North side, which faces the road, does not have a pitch but is the flat side. I have a few trellisses up against the house and the clematis planted about 2 feet out from the house so they get some moisture but not a deluge like on the East, sunnier side. I'm glad the Markham and Goldflame seem to like this damp condition.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gosh, you're in Maine and don't have gutters. You're a brave lady. Have you thought about a rain chain?

Newt

Return to “Perennials”