Rogue11

Freesia bulb planting

To put it simple, I love Freesias. All my friends know that and every year for my birthday I would get pots and bouquets of them. I usually would plant the bulbs from the pots into the garden after they were finished blooming.
Now after we moved last spring I want to plant new bulbs in my new garden and I wonder when would be the best time to do that if I want them to flower next spring. Can I order them and plant them now, or do I want until Fall?

also, anyone knows a good place to order bulbs online? I am looking for unusual colors and lots of fragrances.

Thanks.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I'd wait until fall unless you get a good buy now then stick them some place dry. Don't forget a handful of bone meal when planting.

Rogue11

Thanks. I will wait for Fall then. I am in no hurry. Have never bought Freesia bulbs before Online or in store, so I wouldn't know a good deal if it came and bit me in the rear. :)
Out of curiosity, what's the Bone meal for? I just bought a bag recently for some other plants, so I will make sure to add some.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Bone meal promotes root growth which is more important to plant greening, once you have healthy roots the rest is a cakewalk.

Rogue11

thanks.

Matthew.Carman

Bluestone Perennials has bulbs and they are a great mail order site to go through. Another mail oder site to try is Brent and Becky's Bulbs or Old-house Gardens. Old-house has heirloom bulbs and a catalogue. Bluestone also has a catalogue. Between those 3 sites you should find the bulbs your looking for.

Return to “Perennials”