beardown27
Newly Registered

Are my perennials gone for good?- Weed-Be-Gone

I'm new to gardening--as evidenced by my mistake below. Any help would be appreciated!

I planted a number of new perennials this year, a few knockout rose bushes, and several other plants. On the advice of someone at the hardware store, I used Weed-Be-Gone to control the weeds, and was told that it would be OK to spray widely. Unfortunately, the new plants have shrivled, and look very sickly. Are these plants gone for good? I've been watering actively, and we've gotten tons of rain this spring, but I'm concerned that I poisoned my plants.

I also have some more mature rose bushes and other bushes which seem to have resisted the poison fairly well--but I guess the overall question is--if a plant looks sickly from a weed-be-gone treatment--is it done for good?

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm sorry you were given such bad information. If it were I, I would go back to the store and tell the person they should stop giving out advice on subjects they clearly know nothing about. :(

I think it might depend on how long ago you applied the Weed-B-Gone. If it was done several weeks ago, and your plants aren't completely dead-looking yet, then there might be some chance that enough of the root system survived to support new growth.

I would watch the plants closely for a few months to see if any new growth appears. If none does, then you'll probably have to replace the plants. Young plants may be more susceptible to the herbicide than older, established plants.

Do not make the mistake of fertilizing any plants in an effort to help them survive. When plants are under stress, fertilizer will only make the situation worst by causing additional root damage. Also, be careful not to overwater them. Damaged plants won't be able to use more water than usual, and the roots won't be able to absorb it. Excess water will just set the stage for root rot.

Good luck to you! :!:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think whether a plant survives it depends on the plant type, how well established it is, the dosage it received, etc. So all you can do is rinse/ flush well and see what happens. But it is somewhat slow acting as the poison gets transported through the plant. So I'm guessing plants that look sickly will get worse not better, because they have already taken up the poison. At that point rinsing etc doesn't help, because the poison is in the plant.

That stuff kills plants and it isn't very good for people either. Here's a bit from Wiki:

A 1990 study of farmers in Nebraska, even when adjusting for exposure to other chemicals, found that 2,4-D [the active ingredient in Weed B Gone] exposure substantially increased the risk of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

It has been banned in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Kuwait, and parts of Canada. We in the US are much more tolerant of poisons in the environment than many other countries.

Tony02905

I never use a liquid spray no matter what it says about not hurting the plants. I found best success with the following -

Early spring, clean the beds out. Spread Preen weed contol. Its in pellet form and does not harm the plants at all.

The preen keeps the weeds under control, does not eliminate them completely, but mulch or a just old fashion weeding takes care of the rest.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow!! Read labels and look up ingredients. Preen is a pre-emergence herbicide, which means it prevents seeds (mainly of grass type weeds) from growing.

Its active ingredient is Trifluralin. Here's some info about Trifluralin:

Trifluralin is a widely used herbicide which is a suspected carcinogen. In some countries its use is increasing, while in other countries [me -- all the European union I think] it is banned for its persistence and its threat to ecosystems. ... Trifluralin is an endocrine-disrupting chemical, according to both the UK Environment Agency and the World Wide Fund for Nature. These chemicals have adverse, ‘gender-bender’ effects by interfering with the body’s hormones, or chemical messengers, and are active at even miniscule levels ... Trifluralin residues in the atmosphere of remote, non-use regions have been reported, suggesting its potential for long-range transport. Scientists found traces of trifluralin in the Canadian Arctic, which were believed to be from from Asia, probably China, in 1991. Trifluralin pollutes the atmosphere and is carried long distances in dust and air. ... trifluralin is highly toxic to aquatic animals (fish and invertebrates) and it poses high risks to endangered species. Sediment-feeding organisms are particularly at risk because of the tendency of trifluralin to bioaccumulate. Studies also suggest exposure-related abnormalities in the vertebral development of aquatic animals, at low concentration.

https://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/Triflura.htm

I wouldn't use this stuff in my garden even if it were the only way to save my garden, but the really sad thing is it is totally unnecessary. Just lay down a good layer of mulch. It will suppress weeds as well and then break down to feed your soil. It is harmless to you and the environment!

Sharon Marie

This is the most amazing thing ever invented! JMO :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This ???

Ladybug027

Thanks for the tip Marlingardener!! :) From your experience does the vineger also kill grass? TIA
Marlingardener wrote:If the perennials are not definitely dead, give them ICU treatment. Place a newspaper or sheet tent over them to protect them from direct sun, water frequently to keep the soil moist but not soggy, and do not fertilize or overhead water.
Weed be Gone works on weeds. The guy at the hardware store probably couldn't tell a weed from a perennial, and should not be spreading his igorance around!
If you want to continue using WeedBeGone, spot spray. Personally, I use vinegar, the cheapest I can find, and use it full strength on weeds. It is a herbicide that has few side effects, and if used as a spot spray, works great.I hope your perennials survive, but if not, you have learned a valuable lesson, although painful.

Return to “Perennials”