Lise
Newly Registered

Deformed, curling, burnt growth - Over fertilized??

I watered my perennials with Miracle Grow about 4 weeks ago and now several of my plants (echinacia, campanula, geums, etc.) in different areas of my garden first wilted then leaves started to look brown.

2 weeks later, I cut the damaged growth back to the gound and now the new growth is twisted, curled and has brown spots. The flowers have bloomed stunted and/or dead. Here's a couple of photos:

https://photobucket.com/twistedgrowth

Did I over fertilize or is this something else? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That could be from overfertilizing. How strong did you mix the product?

I have to say, though, that it almost looks more like herbicide damage. Is there any chance that an herbicide/weed killer that was sprayed on some other part of your property, such as a lawn, might have drifted to these plants? The fertilizer you used didn't, by any chance, also contain a weed killer, did it? :?

Lise
Newly Registered

The Miracle Grow was already pre-mixed and in one of those bottles that you attach to a hose and just spray so I'm hoping it was mixed correctly. It doesn't have any herbicide that I can see in the ingredients. I've used this product several times before and haven't had any issues to date.

The herbicide point is an interesting thought. I hadn't used any herbicide on my lawn until last week , however, my neighbors may have and I could have received some overspray from them. If this is the problem, is there anything I can do to help them recover or should I just replace them?

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know if they'll recuperate or not, but most likely, it won't be until next year, when the new spring growth appears. It's possible that the crowns of the plants were damaged, which would account for the misshapen new growth.

That kind of sprayer is supposed to dilute the fertilizer as it's applied. I wonder if the one you got might have been faulty in some way. :?

I'm still inclined toward the herbicide possibility, though. Herbicide damage usually shows up within a few days, and usually starts with wilting. I would be inclined to suspect anything that was applied on or near the plants no more than a week before the damage appeared. I don't usually use foliar fertilizers, so haven't had experience with overdoing that. I have, though, overfertilized my lawn, and it turned brown and dry within a day or two.

If you believe the damage was caused by the fertilizer, the plants will likely bounce back next year. It's possible they could bounce back from herbicide drift, as well. I think I'd wait to see what happens. :)

Lise
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. :lol:

Matthew.Carman

I don't like to use chemical fertilizer because it hurts the insects that visit the plants and the plants don't need it. Organic fetilizer is much better. I did use plant start fertilizer this year in the chemical form but only once and I only bought it for my new plants. So far all of my plants are doing fine and I have over 50 Perrenials. I think in the future I will stick to organic fertilizer.

I can't say what your problem is since I have never seen plants twist like that. Interesting.

Return to “Perennials”