probe1957

Moving Bleeding Hearts

We bought a house last year that had lots of perennials. We know nothing about them but are trying to learn.

The previous owner had planted a couple of Bleeding Hearts around behind the shed. I assume because he didn't have any place to put them. I would like to move them to a place where they can be enjoyed, but really have no idea how to successfully do it. Your expert advice is solicited and appreciated.

applestar
Mod

I would move them after they finish flowering, before they go dormant for the summer (they disappear in my garden). Dig well away from the plants and deep, so you have most of th roots without cutting them off.

Prepare the planting hole before you dig out the plants, and fill the hole half way with water before putting in the rootball.

mtmickey

I agree...wait until after they are done blooming before moving them. Also remember that Bleeding Hearts like cooler, shadier spots. Do not put them in full sun.

probe1957

Would it hurt to cut them back before I move them? They are quite large.

applestar
Mod

I don't think I would cut them back. They will be storing energy in the roots through foliage photosynthesis for next year. If the foliage seems too big, wait until it starts to die down for the summer, but don't wait too long because, like I said, the entire thing may disappear.

At the time you move the root mass, you'll be able to divide them into smaller clumps if you like .

probe1957

applestar wrote:I don't think I would cut them back. They will be storing energy in the roots through foliage photosynthesis for next year. If the foliage seems too big, wait until it starts to die down for the summer, but don't wait too long because, like I said, the entire thing may disappear.

At the time you move the root mass, you'll be able to divide them into smaller clumps if you like .
Cool. I may do that. Thank you all very much.

Return to “Perennials”