babiebee33

Help! My Marguerite Daisies.....

Hello,
I am new to gardening. Just bought a house and was left with a mess. I just finished one of the flower beds. I love daisies and so far have over ten. I obviously did not plan much out, only prepped the beds and picked some flowers I loved. I don't even know if I prepped the soil well enough. The outside border is my daises with a few in pots. I have since read that Marguerite Daisies usually are not used in the front of flower beds, but that is how mine are. They are where our flower bed meets the pathway to our front door, so its like a pathway of daisies. So now that you have the lay out, I have a couple questions. So far all the daisies look great, but two, which are the larger of the small plants, all the flowers seem to grow towards one side and look leggy. The flower heads face away from the pathway. Meanwhile others don't look leggy and look fine. None of the foliage is wilted, but like I said just the daisy heads look leggy. I'm scared to trim them back, because I don't know how far down to cut and on most I cannot cut down too far because it will have a couple buds forming off the same shoot. Also don't want to cut all the leggy flowers off because they still look beautiful with vibrant color. If anyone can give me a thorough beginners explanation on deadheading these. Also one of my daises, my only Sassy Pink, I think it is, isn't sending up more flower shoots. It has a couple formed buds that have yet to bloom, as well as, I see tiny buds forming. However, compared to my other daisies, it looks naked. Not a lot of foliage and down to the last three blooms. Don't know whats wrong. Some of its flowers looked deformed, missing petals, but I did catch some snails on them. Please anyone who has the time to help me, I would so appreciate it. I have been doing so much reading lately hoping to thrive with gardening. I'm sick of plants dying once in my care. I cannot find the information I need on the world wide web. To end this post on a good note, I have a gerbera daisy I recently potted and it seems to be thriving. I see three tiny new buds forming since its been in my care. I am thrilled about this. Its beautiful, definitely my prized plant, next to my orchids :) THANKS!!!!

Return to “Perennials”