Susan W
Greener Thumb

Easter Lilies

I sometimes pick up Easter lilies very cheap, after Easter of course! Plant, and often they come back. At $1 -2 each, no big loss if not. I was at Lowes the other day and got only 4 pretty ones @ $1. There were lots on the rack and I tried to restrain myself. Another lady was perusing the mark-down rack and picked up some for herself. We figured at that price, go for it!

I do this on a regular basis, and do have one coming back. As they come up and bloom on their natural cycle, not on Easter which is the nursery forcing for the event.

Matthew.Carman

Hi Susan, my neighbors had one they planted in a partial shade area and it died. How much sunlight does one need and do these plants die alot?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Planting the Easter lilies is always a maybe for coming back. Mine are in part shade/sun. I figure the 'day old' ones worth a try at $1 -2 each.

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

Haven't found any lilies yet at Lowe's "rescue rack" but have rescued three bougainvilleas at $2 a piece last week, five other types of lilies for $1 a piece a few weeks ago and five papyrus plants for $1 each a couple of weeks ago.

Being retired is dangerous on the pocket book! :shock:

Runningtrails

I often acquire old Easter lilies, after the bloom has died, from churches who toss them and are happy for me to pick them up. I immediately plant them in the garden, cut off yellowing stalks and water well. They almost always regrow and rebloom that same season and usually put up several stalked from the one plant, each with a bloom. One year one lily rebloomed with 10 blooms!. They smell wonderfull!

Sometimes they come back in the spring and some don't. I have one growing now that was planted three years ago. It's the only one out of three planted that year, that has continued to come back in the spring.

This year I didn't get any :-( I was just too busy...

Return to “Perennials”