Schila
Cool Member

Chrysantemum or Garden Mum

Hello O:)
I have two pots in front of the house with Chrysanthemums or Garden Mum. They are located on the west side so they get the afternoon sun. I have relied on the sprinkle system to water them and I think it was not a wise idea because they are almost gone. I went ahead and did some pruning today to see if they are salvageable and decided to water them myself every other day. Please see the pictures of what's left and tell me if I just should go ahead and get new ones.

-helpsos-

[url]https://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/215j3baet7i4lxgnx12j[/url]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks pretty dead to me. I'd replace it. If you do replace it, I strongly recommend that you provide additional water for it, and don't depend entirely on your sprinkler system.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah, nothing left of that, sorry... Definitely as Kisal said replace and water more.

Schila
Cool Member

If I decide to get new plants for these pots, do you think that I should get rid of the soil that's in it and put fresh potting soil?
Also, what do you suggest I put on the bottom where the drainage holes are? Normally I put small pebbles. :oops:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I use non-metal window screen fabric for that purpose. Just cut a piece to fit in the bottom of the container, then add the soil.

I don't think you need all brand-new soil, just add a little compost. :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I don't want to rain on your parade, but thinking mums an odd choice for location. I would think one would go for 'show' for your very long season. For easy in your hot climate potato vine comes to mind. Can be over-used, but it works! I also like the purple (or is it blue) fan flower.

As for pot and soil, I would remove down about 1/2 and then add fresh.

Just my 2c and dirt-under-nails talking!

Return to “Perennials”