hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Too hot for Peonies?

We live in zone 8 in north central South Carolina. I started growing peonies in containers about five or six years ago. The plants continue to create more and more eyes and more and more flowers. They bloom strongly each year. I'm now up to four plants! When peonies are in a container, the plants gets exposed to much lower temperatures than when planted in the ground, so the container plants always get adequate chilling hours. My flowers are a bit smaller than those in the ground, but given the scale of the planters and being displayed on our deck, the size at 3-5 inches is just fine. Here is a photo of our first blooms this season.

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5658159225_a707022877_o.jpg[/img]

Matthew.Carman

I planted several bulbs for different flowers last year and the only perrenial bulb that came up was my Karl Rosenfeld Peony. It has returned this year and I can't wait for it to get bigger. Peonies are nice and provide food for the ants. (the sap is like sugar to them)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Our peonies get placed in full morning/early afternoon sun during the spring and fall. During the hottest part of the summer the plants are shifted to where they only get early to mid morning sun. Protecting them from the hot afternoon sun and heat is probably important to our success.

Return to “Perennials”