Sunflower68
Newly Registered

Is there any hope for my hyacinths?

Hi everyone! I'm new here :D I'm a total novice trying to learn more!

I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out what to do with my hyacinth plants.

After this unusually harsh and crazy winter here in NY, 3 of my hyacinth plants look as if they've rotted and are a lost cause. The others have come up nicely, but these look like they never had a chance. The little buds that came up seem like they had too much moisture and appear slimy and rotten.

Do I just leave them alone and hope they come back, or should I pull them out and buy new bulbs?

Thanks for any replies!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Get some bone meal and rake it into the soil around them unless they are sitting in water and if they are transplant them in May but flag them now.

Sunflower68
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I appreciate it!

They aren't sitting in water right now, but the soil is still very moist and they just haven't had a chance to dry out yet.

applestar
Mod

I would see if the area dries out enough and they manage to grow. if they do, give them plenty of bulb fertilizer like Bulb-tone, maybe (or bone meal as has been suggested) and keep the leaves going even if there are no flowers, as long as you can. Then after they go dormant for the summer, you can dig them up and plant them in a better (more well drained location that doesn't flood in spring thaw).

Sunflower68
Newly Registered

Thank you, Applestar!
I do think that the problem is definitely that they are in a bad area that doesn't drain out well.

This is the 3rd year I've had them there, but I didn't have any problems in the past. I guess I will have to eventually move them to a better place to keep this from ever happening again.

Return to “Perennials”