Matthew.Carman

Is these perrenials late to come up?

This is my first post here but I am not new to gardening. This is the first spring that I have alot of perrenials returning. Most of them are coming back but my Joe Pye Weed has yet to show any signs of growth. I have read that Joe Pye Weed can be late to come up but I was wondering when do they normally come up? I have just a little dead stem of where it was last year and it's already mid April.

My Astilbe is completely brown. I made sure it was watered good and it was green up untill winter but now it's mid April and no sign of green growth. It looks like it is dissapearing some.

My Azalea are just stems right now. I figured like the Butterfly Bush they would be late to come up but I wanted to check and be sure. Also my Foxglove came back nicely last year but no signs of them in front of my house yet. They are in partial shade next to a Columbine that is already coming up. I know they are biannual but they do reseed. I want to know what I need to replace and any help is apreciated.

Ps. My Polmunaria are already flowering here in Iowa and it's only mid April.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As a general rule of thumb the later in the summer something blooms, the later in spring it is likely to come up. Joe-Pye is a late summer to fall bloomer so comes up late. I haven't looked real recently, but I don't think my Joe-Pye is showing yet. (I'll have to check whenever it stops raining.)

Azaleas are evergreen. They should not drop their leaves. If it is just stems, it may be dead.

I don't have a lot of experience growing foxglove, but when I have it has not reseeded itself for me. I think some of the hybrid varieties don't produce (much?) seed.

Matthew.Carman

Thanks Rainbow. My foxglove reseeded last year I thought because more stalks came up. This year nothing. It could just be a variety that does not reseed.

I cheked again and my Azalea has no leaves but did show some green in the stems finally. That may be a good sign. I purhased Bollywood Azalea because they are hardy to zone 5 but I never mulched them before winter time.

For my Joe Pye Weed I need a spring flowering plant with it I guess so it does not look bare for the springtime.

I think my Astilbe is dead but I wanted to make sure it was not late to come up. I think it blooms in the Summer time. I got Country and Western or a Red version. If it does not come back I will have to replace it.

Return to “Perennials”