kossde
Newly Registered

One of my two Black and Blue salvia wilts every afternoon

I live in Wylie, TX; a suburb of Dallas. I have two Black and Blue Saliva that I purchased and planted last August. They were blooming when I purchased them and didn't stop blooming until Winter.

In late February this year, they began growing back. One of them began growing back right where I had cut it to the ground. The other one began growing about 6 inches from where I had cut it back (we don't know how or why that happened). The one that's growing 6 inches from where I cut it back is growing a lot. It's not very tall (about 6 inches) but has spread and filled out tremendously; it's lush and green and seems very happy.

The one that grew back from where I cut it during the winter is also 6 inches tall but tends to wilt in the afternoon. I can't decide if I am over watering it or under watering it. I probably water it about twice a week. The two plants are within 3 feet of each other - why does this one plant keep wilting??

Also, they've been around for 6 weeks now- shouldn't they be taller than 6 inches? They're never going to get as tall as they were last year at this rate.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Could be any number of reasons and more likely it is the soil even though they are close to each other. You might dig a trench around the plants and throw in some bone meal since it seems the roots are struggling and give more water to the one that is wilting.

Return to “Perennials”