Hi everyone new here, have been browsing the threads and have to say a lot of excellent advice, I want to say i don't have a green thumb, wouldnt say it is brown but mayb a light shade of green with a little yellow thrown in
Anyways my question is about lily of the valley, I have an area out by my mailbox that I want to put something in that will spread and fill it up, I can water it but other then that I don't want to do much else to it ( well fertilize it too ) and bought some lily of the valley sets from the local feedstore, I love what they look like on the box and it also says they smell good. Did a google search on them after i got home and found out they are toxic !!
I have a couple of dogs, they don't really mess with my plants unless it is to step on them and a 18 month old grand daughter, the area where I want to plant hardly anyone except the mail lady has access to, its close to the road and dogs or baby are not allowed out there, but after reading the info on the toxic lily of the valley I am worried about planting it. I think the worst thing to happen is a dog may run threw it but since they are not allowed there i doubt it, but i am a over protective granny and keep thinking what happens if baby picks a leaf or rubs her hands on it if she should get close enough.
Does anyone know how toxic it is ? Can it harm you if you don't ingest it ? If it is as toxic as google has lead me to beleive is there anything else comparable that could work in the location ? It gets dappled shade in the morning and about an hour or two of afternoon light, late afternoon light.
Thanks for any help