jam8952

I want to know what kind of grass smells sweet in my yard.

I have mowed the yard the other day for the first time of the year 2011. The green grass is starting to feel in my yard again because it's starting to warm up outside while cutting grass I noticed a fragrant sweet cinnamon smell That I have never smelled in my yard before I bent down and it was coming from the grass below that I just mowed it smells very good but the fragrance is really hard to describe.I do remember visiting my aunt and uncle's house in north carolina last year and I pulled up some fragrant grass out of there yard in north carolina I was told the grass was called anthoxanthum odratum L. sweet vernal grass so I pulled the grass up by the roots and all and brought it back to alabama with me when I came back home I planted it in the front yard I was not expecting it to live because the grass was brown and white already when I pulled it up out of the ground in north carolina at my aunt and uncles house.But now some how I think it spread by underground roots I know they say that sweet vernal grass only spreads by seed but I think somehow it spread by the roots because now it's spreading all over my front yard I'm excitied and happy about it because it smells very good when it's been cut.The grass has a very dark green color to it and whenever you brake a piece off and sniff it it has a sort of a sweet cinnamon smell to it the smell is kinda hard to describe but it smells wonderful. The other only grass I know that has a sweet smell too is the sweet grass hierochloe odorata it's a different species of grass with the same smell as the anthoxanthum odoratum species.I have also noticed the dark fragrant grass is only growing in spots in my yard where I planted the dead fragrant grass that I pulled up in north carolina so could it be the same grass from north carolina and somehow it probably re-rooted itself and spread by underground roots. I don't know I will just have to wait and see when it grows back out again.

applestar
Mod

I was going to suggest that it's Sweet Vernal Grass, then realized after reading through your post that you knew this already. :wink:

A couple of years ago, I let my all lawn grass grow out to see exactly what species grass I had. To my delight, a clump of This grass grew in the middle of my back lawn. I dug it out and gave it a spot in my Sunny (wildflower) Meadow garden, and I now have two more small clumps. when they go to seed, I spread them around in the hopes that they'll grow.

However, when I searched for info on this grass, it was identified as "Invasive" in some states.

jam8952

That's for the suggestions.I believe it might be anthoxanthum odoratum sweet vernal grass there's patches of it popping up everywhere in my front yard where it's very sunny. I counted the patches of grass and I have about 5 patches of the fragrant grass growing in my front yard it's spreading very fast which I don't mine at all I want it to spread and cover my whole front yard as much as it needs too so my lawn will smell good when I mow it next time..The grass has like a dark greenish tint color to it that's how I know how to tell it apart from the other grasses in my yard because of it's dark greenish looking color and it's sweet smelling odour it has when you brake a piece off and sniff it.The only way I will know if it's anthoxanthum odoratum is that I will have to give it time to grow back out if it will grow back out and if it starts to grow a long stem up with a spike looking cone flower then I will know if it's sweet vernal grass anthoxanthum odoratum or not.The 5 patches of the grass are still small because there still growing.Like I said in my first question above the patches are only growing in the areas where I planted the dead sweet vernal grass that I pulled up from my aunt and uncles house in north carolina last year while visiting them.So maybe it's the same grass but maybe it rerooted and grew underground roots and spread that way.If not then maybe it seeded itself all over my front lawn.

Return to “Perennials”