Charlotte_Laws
Newly Registered

Dumb Daffodil Question

I know this a stupid question, but if I plant daffodil bulbs this fall will there been pretty green stalks every winter or will there be nothing but dirt? I live in Los Angeles (zone 10, I think). I have a not-yet-planted garden, and am making planting decisions.

I have gophers and rabbits and only want to plant gopher-proof plants. Daffodils are the number one choice, I am told.

I don't want to be looking at dirt every winter, so will only scatter daffodils around other plants if they go away completely during the colder parts of the year. What do daffodils look like in winter in Los Angeles?

Can I order the bulbs now? And when should I plant them? I'd like to get the garden completed right away, but don't want to hurt the chances of nice flowers. It is still very hot here - probably in the 90s.

Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Generally speaking Daffodils are a spring flower (at least they are up here). You say you are in california, I'm not sure what you winter climate is like, but you might want to reaserch winter plants that do well down there.

I think there is a winter plant list in the forums somewhere but, it is not specific to California. Try local nurseries, and speak to the experts, not hired staff.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Charlotte,

You will definately have to choose your daffodils carefully as very few can tolerate the heat of zone 10. They will be dormant in Los Angeles in the winter. After they bloom, you will need to let the leaves turn yellow before you can remove them, as that is what feeds the bulbs for next years bloom.

Daffs can come up through many other plants, so consider a groundcover over them. Choose one that won't need alot of water in the summer as daffs prefer it on the dry side when they're dormant.

Newt

decam0

Hi
I always plant daffodils underneath deciduous shrubs. The daffoldils bloom before the shrub comes into leaf making a pretty carpet beneath the bare branches. Then later, when the shrub leafs up, it hides the daffodils' untidy yellowing leaves.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great idea decamo!

Return to “Perennials”