seaellare
Cool Member

Are ANY Snapdragons Perennials?

I am SO confused - I bought a gorgeous Solstice Snapdragon - tricolored today, but I'm not sure what it will (or will not) do.

I always thought snaps were all annuals, but after reading the labels and stuff on the net, I'm not sure. This plant's tag says annual, but hardy to -30 degrees. Is that a normal thing? It was on a perennial table - along with about 10 other pots of the same thing (doubtful that a customer just set it down there). The tag says annual. I've read online that they are annuals, perennials, biennials, as well as hardy for at least 2 years...

Thanks, it's a gorgeous plant, maybe a new cultivar, because I can't seem to find out too much info on it...

Christine

femlow

Most snapdragons are self-seeding annuals, so they will come back each year, normally in greater numbers, but they are not the same plants as the year before, just the seeds. There are a few varieties that are considered perennial in the right zone (normally 9-10), however most are not, and it doesnt sound like yours is either. When it says cold hardy to -30 and says its an annual, that means the seeds will stay viable to that temperature in the winter and still grow in the spring.

fem

seaellare
Cool Member

Okay - thanks so much, I can't tell you how confusing it was! To top it off, Lowes' site has a code that if you buy a plant, you can type in the code and it will give you care instructions. Well, on the tag, it says annual, but on the website, it says perennial - unbelievable!

So then I should continue to get snapdragons in the same general area where this one is planted (if I understand correctly). That is good enough for me!!

Thank you again!
Christine

femlow

You definately should see them come back next year (and the year after that and the one after that too). Mine were planted in a couple pots on a retaining wall around the driveway, now they come up through the gravel in the driveway and keep spreading to more pots every year (I think they are up to 5 pots now), all on their own, and atleast here they don't even have to be watered until the weather turns really hot and everything starts to dry out.

Cactus Joe

Snapdragons can behave as either annuals or perennials, depending on the climate.

They are supposed to be perennials in our Zone 7B, but that does not mean they can't survive the winter and come back the following year if grown in the right conditions. I have a white variety growing close to the house - therefore, a very favourable microclimate - that has survived for 5 years. And there is no mistaking it being the same and original plant. It just doesn't seem to go into dormancy in the winter. It would get sickly in the cold winter, but come spring, new laterals sprout from the old "wood". I am not sure it that makes it a true "prennial" - it has no true winter dormancy state.

seaellare
Cool Member

Another question (I'm full of them!). I thought I read somewhere that I can use barbecue ashes on snapdragons - is this correct? I have been trying all morning to find out if they prefer acid or alkaline soil, but haven't had any luck. I know that ashes make the soil more alkaline, but are ashes from a charcoal grill safe to use? I seem to remember hearing that you should only use wood ashes from a fireplace.

Thank you!!!

Christine

Cactus Joe

Ash contains potassium and is high in calcium, and therefore, can be useful ammendments to the compost heap or soil.

However, beware of what actually gets burnt that produced the ash. Chemicals in the wood (or whatever material that was burnt) can be a potential problem when introduced into the garden via the ashes. Pressure treated wood may contain arsenic, for example. Other wood may have chemicals from pain, bonding compounds, glue, etc. I would expect plain charcoal to be reasonably clean. But I abide by the rule that unless I had total control of and know what was burnt, I will not use the ash in the compost.

Another thing to remember is that ash in general will raise the pH of the soil. So, I avoid using any of that stuff around the acid loving plants, e.g. rhodos.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A NOTE ON ASH:
Ash is good in small quantities as when carbon compounds are heated to high temperatures, they can and do form undesirables that can be harmful to humans and plants.

Most if not all of the Nitrogen in a compound is lost to the atmosphere while burning so, ash is very low in N

Not all ash contains calcium, it depends what source the ash came from.

(I use ash from my smoker and add it to my compost pile)

seaellare
Cool Member

Thanks everybody for your help!! :lol: I have learned so much from this forum (my gardens thank you as well!). I think I'll nix the ashes - they are from charcoal and I have no clue what chemicals are in there. Till my next problem arises...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I think that it would be fine to add these ashes to a compost pile where they will be chemically altered into something that will work well with plants.

As in our zone 5 snapdragons arent perennials but the seeds stay on the ground and re sprout some annuals to that

oldclematislady
Newly Registered

There is a variety that is more hardy than most.

kingdom: Plantae
division: Magnoliophyta
class: Magnoliopsida
order: Plantaginales
Plantaginaceae snapdragon Family

Antirrhinum braun-blanquetii
yellow perennial snapdragon; Fr: muflier de Braun-Blanquet

I bought one 5-6 years ago for the novelty. It did come back the following year, and self seeded a little, if I remember correctly. I wasn't that impressed with the pale yellow coloring, so didn't mind when it didn't return again.

Marie

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Marie,

for others who wish to try these varieties (and please do!) keep in mind the climate that you live in as this will affect whether or not a particular plant will be an annual or a perennial in your area.

Return to “Perennials”