gsmith
Newly Registered

Blue Muffin Viburnum

I have owned a Blue Muffin viburnum for the past three summer seasons. When I bought the plant it had the blue berries on it. My plant has not bloomed for the past two seasons. Can anyone venture to guess why? At first I thought it was because deer nibbled on it. But I have kept the deer away and the plant has grown very well, especially this season. I am in zone 6 in New York.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Plant usually flower when they are stressed. I would recommend that you don't fertilize the plant this year and perhaps water it a bit less than normal.

gsmith
Newly Registered

Thank you for your response however this plant is in an area where I pay very little attention to. I usually do not have a need to water and I have not fertilized any of my plants. Maybe that is the reason. I also bought another type of viburnum, but have not planted it yet, because I read that viburnum get more berries if they are near relatives of the spieces.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, interesting. Have you researched viburnams on the internet and at your local library? Some flowers only flower every "so many" years. Other flowers need to be divided (like Daylilies) to flower.

I like to plant all my plants in as rich a soil as possible and never, even use synthethic fertilizers and generally have nice blooms most years. Sometimes you have to wait for a few years and then you get blooms galore!

Newt will probably be here soon with some web related resources on Viburnuums. You could also try looking for Brian Minter on the web (he lives in Chiliwack, British Columbia, Canada) and he will most definately have an answer for you. He has a website.

Musad

I have the same type of viburnum and have blooms every spring I have had it. It faces the west, it now has the berries on it. I did trim it a little after it bloomed but not a lot. I have never fertilized it at all.

Maybe it needs pruning as most shrubs to do make them even better for the following year I pruned my boyfriends shrubs he never pruned them for 10 years I pruned them right down and they flowerd the next year

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Gsmith,

Sorry I didn't see your post before. From what I'm finding on the net about Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin' they can be quite variable in bloom time, berry production and size. They bloom on old wood and should be pruned within 2 weeks of finish of bloom. Of course some berries would be sacrificed. The deer nibbling may have something to do with the lack of blooms when that was happening. They seem to need a companion in the same group for cross pollination and full sun for best bloom. I don't normally refer people to other boards, but this conversation should be helpful.
https://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/shrubs/msg042302384040.html?48

Newt

GreenBayMike

I agree with Newt, especially on the companion plant part. According to at least one of my books, the Viburnum plants will flower more and resultantly have more berries if they are planted directly near other viburnums of the same type. I also got a Blue Muffin viburnum which had berries when I got it at the nurseryl. I just planted it this year, and I expect some berries next year. But, I will probably end up buying another one, not only for the purpose of companion, but also because this bush is supposed to only get about 6' x 6', and I need a little bigger plant in that spot.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Mike, do read that link I provided. You may be surprised with the mature height some folks are getting with 'Blue Muffin'.

Newt

Return to “Perennials”