sthrn_gal
Newly Registered

Hardy Hibiscus

I'm fairly new to gardening and could use some pointers. I've just inherited some hardy hibiscus from a friend of mine. They're about 4 or 5 feet tall and quite wide. They have lots of stalks coming from each grouping. My friend has never done anything other than cut them down to about 6 inches every spring. Should I continue this practice? What about splitting them? There are so many stalks that I thought I might split them so that they have more room to grow. Is this okay? What is this that I've read about deadheading? Does it apply to hardy hibiscus? I know that I ask a lot of questions, but I really want to add these to my backyard as a screen. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Namaste!
~Tricia

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I will bet that one of our great Moderators (NEWT) will find a bunch of great Hibiscus websites and post them for you. But, I would try just googling "Hibiscus care" to find information on how to care for them.

Though, I'm also positive that some members out there know all about the topic as well!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Tricia,

Hardy hibiscus - Hibiscus moscheutos is usually divided in spring, but if you've just inherited them and want to plant them go ahead. Just keep in mind that you might not get blooms this year or they might bloom later then usual. Different varieties grow to different heights and widths. I have some that came to me as tiny seedlings in 4" pots and they are now taller then me!

Op, you make me blush! Thanks for the compliment.

Newt

sthrn_gal
Newly Registered

I just wanted to thank you both <b>very<b> much! I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.....planting and splitting a <b>bunch</b> of hibiscus!! ^_^

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome!

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome.

Dawnatwana
Newly Registered

Newt, I have started perennial hibiscus from seeds, and planted them outside this summer. I am in Zone 5 ( Canada) , and will give them a heavy mulch layer before the winter sets in. Any advice would be most welcome :lol:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Dawnatwana, I would recommend you read those links I posted. Do keep in mind that they will probably die to the ground and appear late in the season, so don't be surprised if you don't see them until warm weather. Keep the spot marked where they are.

Newt

Natalie
Newly Registered

I planted a Hibiscus Braid this spring in a raised bed and it is about 3' tall now. I know that since I am in Michigan that I will have to protect it for the winter. A landscaping man told me to cut it down to about 6 inches after it loses its leaves and mulch it good. Then about Christmas time I should water it. Does this sound like it will protect it for the winter?

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Natalie,

Michigan has hardiness zone from 3 to 6 and you don't say what yours is. When you say "a Hibiscus Braid" that doesn't tell me if it's a hardy or tropical one. So, I would suggest you read the links I gave to Tricia about their care. If you aren't sure if yours is hardy or tropical you can look here.
https://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

If it's tropical I would suggest you bring it in for the winter. If it's hardy, then it's hardiness will depend on your zone. Of course it will probably be killed to the ground anyway, but I wouldn't prune it in fall.

Newt

Return to “Perennials”