garden5
Super Green Thumb

Storing daylily bulbs/tubers - when should I pull them?

I want to take some daylily plants that are growing in one spot, pull them up, save the bulb/tubers over winter and plant them in a new spot in the spring.

My question is, sould I wain until all of the foliage dies back, or can I pull them and snip the tubers now? They will probably be all died back in a month or so, anyway.

Thanks for your help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Why not just plant them in the new spot when you dig them up? They will do better stored in the ground, where they will get the proper moisture, cooling, etc, than stored inside.

In either case you are better off waiting until the foliage has turned yellow and shrivelled up. As long as the foliage is still green, it is still feeding the roots so they will be stronger next year.

That said, daylilies are quite tough and hardy and if you need to move them now, it won't kill them. If you do move them, then do cut the foliage back some so the tuber won't have as much greenery to support while it is getting re-established.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, your right, RG. That's what I usually do and I've found them to be some of the hardiest plants I've transplanted (haven't lost one Yet :wink: ).

The only problem is the new spot will be at a totally different location and it won't be available until early spring. I Just though it would be easier to plant the roots (I'll call them that since they definitely don't look like bulbs) rather than a lot of greens.

Also, the weather is nice now and it may be very early spring when they have to be moved, so they may be hard to find if the greens aren't up yet.

I'm thinking that if I "harvested" the roots now, I would over-winter them in the garage in a paper bag until spring.

So, it would probably be best to wait until all the top-growth dies back before I even attempt pulling them?

Thanks for the input (and sorry about posting the the wrong place :oops: ).

Return to “Perennials”