musiclvr56

deadheading butterfly bush

I asked the nursery where I bought this how to deadhead this plant and he said either above or below the first set of leaves. I don't know whether to count the leaves hugging the flower and again, forgot if he said above or below-memory problem!
I searched the web for how to deadhead this bush and saw a few different ways. One was to pinch the flower where it meets the twigs and another said but back dead flowers to the next set of flours.
Being a former legal secretary, I am detailed oriented.
I am confused as to what to do and would appreciate advice.
Thanks,
Karen

musiclvr56

Thanks for the reply. I neglected to mention that I bought this bush this summer. After I finish lunch, I am going to look for that "bump". You mentioned about "maturing"-since this is not mature, will that bump not be there and if not, with what I wrote in my post, how should I deadhead. Right now, I have no flowers. I wonder if this means I won't get any more. I was told this would flower until frost.

Thanks!
Karen

musiclvr56

Thanks for the reply.

There are no bumps so maybe that's the end of the blooms for the year which could surprise me because I was told it would bloom until frost, but I'll see what happens. I have been gardening for seven years and have become more comfortable with plants. It's an experiment anyhow! I live in Massachusetts and when the time gets closer, I will think about the pruning aspect.

Have a wonderful day!

Karen

Carol Armstrong
Newly Registered

I wouldn't worry too much about pruning ! As a general rule the harder you prune the bigger your blooms will be the following year. It all depends on how big you want your bush to grow. It will grow a lot bigger than 6 foot if left to its own devices, but the flowers will be smaller. Where you cut in the stem doesn't matter a jot, and I think your supplier was being very optomistic telling you it would flower till the frosts ! Good luck !

Return to “Perennials”