UltraRider06
Newly Registered

Moonflowers

Hello from NE Michigan. Currently have a "moonflower" with over 85 blossoms on it. I would like to harvest the seeds. Would appreciate any information, suggestions or help you can offer.

Thanks in Advance.

Bob

specgrade

Sorry Bob, I can't help you with the seeds. Do you have a picture of this "moonflower"? That might help someone else.

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!! :)

microcollie
Green Thumb

I have mine growing in among my morning glories (same family). I planted the originals about 5 years ago. I just leave the seeds on the vines over the winter and they drop and grow come spring. If you want to collect them, though, wait until the vine dies back after a hard frost. Most of the pods will be brown by then. Break them open, pour the seeds into a paper envelope, and keep in the fridge. (They are best soaked overnight before planting to soften their hard shell before planting).
I love mine in with the morning glories, because then I have flowers all the time. (And they're right outside my kitchen window, so the fragrance can waft in)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Specgrade is correct. There are 3 genera of plants that are commonly referred to as "moonflowers", I.e. Datura species, Ipomoea species (those previously separated in Calonyction), and Mentzelia species. (There may be even more than those 3.)

A picture or the scientific name of your specific plants will enable members to provide accurate advice. :)

If you need instructions for posting pics, the Webmaster has provided them here: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23]Helpful Gardener's Tips & Suggestions for New Members[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The ones I have are the Ipomoea which is closely related to morning glories. The seeds are very easy to collect. Just wait until the seed pods are brown and then open them up and harvest the seeds. Put them in a paper (NOT plastic) bag/envelope in the frig until spring. In the spring soak them in warm water for 24 hours before you plant. I have kept mine going for generations that way.

Return to “Perennials”