Cookie Bear
Newly Registered

Perennial rock garden...

... under pine trees.

Can it be done?

I have two mature pine trees that have eroded away the soil on the little hillside they were planted. Hubby and I created a rock garden on the eroded part of the slope and planted some ground cover junipers and ferns. On top of the hillside I would like to plant some perennials. Daffodils have done well there, but fresia did not. The soil is dry, very clay, and of course acidic. (I do believe the rocks will help with the dryness) I would like to plant some astilbes and other shade perennials. If possible, white or very bright colors that would show up well at night is preferred. Anyone have any success with anything like this? Any suggestions? I'm ready to create my shopping list for next year!

Dawn1

How about some daylilies or even hostas? I think they look great together.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Cookie Bear,

Without knowing your hardiness zone it would be difficult to make alot of recommendations. Epimedium will grow in dry shade and there's lots of different colors. The lighter colors will show up better at night and from a distance.

Newt

groud cover perennials look nice in a rock garden try some sedum acre stonecrop or periwinkle lily of the valley is nice or sub phlox they come in pink blue white red I'm in zone 5a and worked at a perennial nursery for 23 years so if you need any more help id be glad to

Newt
Greener Thumb

Some nice suggestions from Sharon! I would warn that lily of the valley can take over a space after a short time and can be difficult to get rid of if you change your mind. Periwinkle - aka Vinca minor and common or Madagascar periwinkle aka Catharanthus roseus formerly classified as the species Vinca rosea, Lochnera rosea and Ammocallis rosea, can be invasive if you live near a woodland, so choose carefully as it might be listed as an invasive where you live.

Newt

thanks newt where I live lily of the grows like that to but if you put it one spot and contrpol it might be okay we have english violets all over our yard I planted some around a sttump my husband runs them over with the lawn mowmer and they keep coming back I'm in zone5 ontario

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sharon, you are very welcome! I find it's best to warn people of possible problems with some plant recommendations as a plant can be invasive in different climates. I have wild violets that were planted before I moved into my house and they have become an invasive pest. I've seen lily of the valley escape from controlled spots and they too can get out of hand quickly if not kept after.

Newt

I would try some of these purple rock crest campanula blue clips drawf bellflower they come in blue or white I have snow in summer in my rock garden sub phlox are nice too they are pink red white or blue perewinkle is nicetoo try some hens and chickens I worked at a nursery in perennials and these are are a few rock garden perennials just trying to help

Newt
Greener Thumb

Sharon, please keep in mind that the periwinkle can become invasive if it escapes into fields and woodlands.

I recommend that everyone check the invasives list for their state or provence.

Newt

Return to “Perennials”